Safeguarding and welfare requirements
Anyone who has concerns for the immediate safety of a child or young person must phone:
- The Cheshire East Consultation Service (ChECS) on 0300 123 5012
(Monday -Thursday 8.30 am - 5pm or Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm)
- Out of Hours Service (Emergency Duty Team) on 0300 123 5022
Do not hesitate. Seek support and advice immediately.
Ensure you keep these numbers readily to hand by displaying copies of the Staying Safe: List of Telephone Numbers poster (PDF, 117KB) provided by the Cheshire East Early Years and Childcare team
If you have children attending your setting who live outside of Cheshire East you must also keep contact details for the Local Authority in which they live. You should also make yourself aware of the LSCB procedures for those Local Authorities.
Please visit the Cheshire East Local Safeguarding Childrens Partnership (CESCP) website for further information about keeping children safe in Cheshire East. The section headed ‘professionals’ includes the CESCP Training Programme for practitioners.
Welfare and safeguarding requirements
All practitioners working with children and young people have a duty to ensure they are kept safe and that their needs are met appropriately.
All providers must adhere to the Safeguarding and Welfare Requirements in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (effective 1 September 2021).
“Providers must take all necessary steps to keep children safe and well”. (Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage page 21).
Safeguarding policy framework for children in childcare settings and documentation
- Spotlight on MARAC January 2018 (MS Word, 590KB)
- Chronology example for early years (PDF, 150KB)
- Chronology (MS Word, 46KB)
- Cover sheet for safeguarding file (MS Word, 49KB)
- Daily events log (MS Word, 43KB)
- Daily events log example (MS Word, 44KB)
- Checklist for a record of concern (MS Word, 17KB)
- Record of concern (MS Word, 88KB)
- Report for meeting (MS Word, 46KB)
- Safeguarding file reminder label (MS Word, 16KB)
- Safeguarding file (PDF, 253KB)
- Single central record (MS Excel, 14KB)
- Transfer of safeguarding records (MS Word, 126KB)
- Safeguarding lanyards / key ring (PDF, 282KB)
- CESCP neglect screening tool
- Spotlight on female genital mutilation (PDF, 605KB)
- Spotlight on honor based violence (PDF, 626KB)
- One Minute Guide to Keeping Children Safe in Education 2018 (PDF, 373KB)
- One Minute Guide to Disqualification by Association (PDF, 135KB)
- Private fostering (PDF, 364KB)