Domestic abuse - keeping safe

View domestic abuse support services

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub - call 0300 123 5101

Door with many locks

Your safety and that of your family is the most important thing to think about. You might already have developed ways to keep safe or you might not know what to do.. We’ve put together advice from others and information about support to help you take action to keep you and your children safe. 

For help and advice with housing, getting your partner to leave, friends and family, refuges, money and a range of other issues, the Women's Aid Survivor's handbook has a wealth of information.

Refuge provision

If you need to leave your home because you are living with the person who is abusing you, you may decide to go to one of the five refuges in Cheshire. See refuge provision for more details on staying in a refuge.

Legal rights

You have the right to legal protection from an abusive partner. This might be through the criminal law (contacting the police and pursuing a prosecution) or through the civil law (contacting a solicitor to apply for a court order to prevent the abuse or keep him/her away from your home)

Working together

  • We will always put you and your family’s safety at the centre of all we do and listen carefully to what you think is best for your family
  • All the agencies - like Police, Housing, Health, Children’s or Adults Services - will try to work together to have one co-ordinated plan which helps all members of your family
  • If you are at high risk of harm this will happen through a MARAC (Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference)
  • Your IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advocate) or support worker from MyCWA will be your key point of contact and liaise with agencies on your behalf if you need that
  • What we ask is that you as open and honest as you can so our plan matches your situation and keeps everyone safe 

Page last reviewed: 25 January 2024

Find a service