School admissions

September 2020 applications

From 1 September 2019 you can apply online to:

  • start school in reception in September 2020 

The closing date for applications for transfer to secondary school in Year 7 for September 2020 has now passed.  To make a late application please ring 0300 123 5012 or complete a form that can be found in the booklet Applying for School Places 2020-21(page 40).

Please read our information booklets before you make an application. Our booklets explain the application process and how we allocate places. They will be available for September 2020 applications from mid September 2019.

The FIS team will be on hand at ‘Stay and Play’ groups in our Children’s Centres, to support parents and carers with primary school applications. There will also be opportunities to discuss other support such as 2 year funding and 30 hours free childcare. See documents below for dates and times.

The closing dates for applications are:

  • Primary 2020 intake - 15 January 2020
  • Secondary transfer 2020 intake - 31 October 2019

If you are not resident in Cheshire East, but live in another English Local Authority, you must apply via your home local authority even if your preference is for a Cheshire East school. If you are resident in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, or outside of the UK you may apply direct to Cheshire East using this application form. You can read information for overseas residents on our Advice and Guidance page.

Apply for school places for September 2020 and access your account   

Read our admissions data protection statement to find out how we use your information from your applications.

Mainstream education

In Cheshire East we have 124 mainstream primary schools and 23 mainstream secondary schools. The different types of schools include community and voluntary controlled schools, foundation and voluntary aided schools and academies.

School type
Type of schoolPrimarySecondary
Academies 61  16
Community schools 32 3
Foundation schools 2 1
Free school - 1
Studio school (14-19) - 1
University Technical College (14-19)  - 1
Voluntary aided schools 20 -
Voluntary controlled schools 9 -

Information about all of these schools is published in our information booklets.

In Year admissions

'In year' applications for school places are for admission into any year group after the first day of the school year.

You will need to fill in our In Year Application form, which we will send to your schools of choice.  You can find paper copies of the application form in the "In Year Admissions" booklet or phone 0300 123 5012.

To apply for a school in another local authority, you will need to contact the relevant authority to find out how to make an application.

Walking routes to school

A walking route is only classed as available if it is a route along which a child, accompanied as necessary, can walk with reasonable safety to school. For information about walking routes to school, including; proposed changes, consultation and decisions agreed by the Council see

Changes to Ofsted Inspections from September 2019

From September 2019 Ofsted are changing the way they inspect our schools.  Inspectors will focus less on test data and more on what is taught and how it is being taught.  For more information visit the Ofsted website

Special Educational Needs

Most children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) can have their needs met within local mainstream provision.  Some children need specialist provision. If your child has special educational needs or a disability, find out more on our Special Educational Needs and Disability page

Legal right of appeal

Parents who have been unsuccessful with a school preference have a legal right of appeal.  Appeals applications should be submitted to the relevant admission authority.

Data Protection

We hold any personal or sensitive information that you give to us in accordance with the Data Protection Legislation. To find out how we use your information see our admissions data protection statement (PDF, 53KB) 

Contact us

0300 123 5012 - option 1

Fax: 01270 686491

School Admissions
Floor 5, Municipal Buildings
Earle Street


Take part in our admissions survey.


Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?