MyCareView Privacy Notice
Placing health care information in your hands, to enable a more active role in the management of your health and wellbeing.
What it means for you
The goal of MyCareView is to provide you with access to your healthcare information and other online services. We want to place you at the centre of managing and controlling your health information online. There is no cost to use your MyCareView account, you just need access to the internet.
MyCareView can help you:
- interact directly with healthcare teams
- share your health record with carers and trusted care professionals
- send and receive messages with clinical staff involved in your care
- see appointments and access letters shared by providers including test
- results at a later stage
- store your health care documents from other providers
- add your own comments and observations to your health record
How MyCareView works
Once you have logged in, you will be able to access your record. The data on there may be limited but you can add to it over time. Here are some of the features which you can use:
- You can add a range of information about your health including diagnoses, allergies, symptoms and measurements such as pulse and blood pressure.
- your health professional may add links in your library to useful resources and materials.
- if you are using a personal healthcare or fitness tracker, you may be able to upload data from it into your record.
- keep your own health journal, see and add appointments you or health professionals have added to your record.
- you can delegate access to your record and control who can access your record. You can invite health and care professionals, carers, friends and family. And you can choose what type of information they see
- you can add your own documents and images. For example, you can scan letters and store them here.
- Our partner Patients Know Best have published a manual online with further information on how to use MyCareView.
To use MyCareView you need to be invited by your health professional, they may invite you in person, or alternatively you will receive a letter in the post or mobile text invitation linked with an upcoming hospital appointment.
If you have received an invitation, you can visit the following page for instructions on how to register
When you register you will need to provide your date of birth, a personal email address and a password.
Once registered, you will be able to log into access MyCareView from any computer or smartphone with internet access.
Keeping your information secure
MyCareView is hosted by a secure third party called Patients Know Best.
Your health information will be securely encrypted and stored on their network online.
All Personal Data will be appropriately backed up and stored in a secure offsite facility by Patients Know Best.
Access to this information will only be given to the relevant healthcare professionals and the carers, family or friend who you decide to share your health record with.
All health and care professionals have a duty to protect the confidentiality of patient and service user information and are trained to ensure they have your consent before they access your MyCareView account.
Your information will be securely retained and stored in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Why we can process your personal information
In order to process your data with health and care professionals we require a legal basis.
Our legal basis is:
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- preventive or occupational medicine including assessments of employees; medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services subject to confidentiality safeguards
We hold medical information about you in order to help professionals provide you with the best care possible. If you do not wish for professionals to access the information you have shared, you can disable sharing on your MyCareView account.
You can do this by contacting the privacy officer at your health organisation. If you choose to disable sharing, professionals will not be able to access your MyCareView account, even in an emergency.
If you choose to disable sharing, professionals will not be able to access your MyCareView, even in an emergency. However, the professional will still be able to see information they have personally added to your record. Professionals will still be able to access their own medical systems, which may hold information about you for the purposes of direct care.
If you believe that your personal information has been handled inappropriately, you have a right to contact the Information Commissioners Office. They can be contacted at the following address :
Information Commissioner's Office
Or contact them using the website: Information Commissioner's Office
Under data protection law you have a number of rights which you can exercise.
- Right of Access
- Right to rectification
- Right to restrict processing
- Right to object
- Right to data portability
- Right to erasure (right to be forgotten)
PKB Privacy Notice