Flood incident investigations and reports
We review any reported flooding where people or property, businesses or critical infrastructure were involved. If the impact of the flood was significant, we do a formal flood investigation.
To ask us to review a internal property flooding, you can contact the flood investigation team.
Formal flood investigations
The purpose of a formal flood investigation is to:
- Identify who has relevant flood risk management functions, and
- Investigate whether each of those risk management authorities has exercised, or is proposing to exercise, those functions in response to the flood.
- The results will be published and data shared with other flood risk management authorities. These include United Utilities and the Environment Agency
Flood reviews where a formal investigation is not needed
Where we review a flood and find a formal investigation is not needed, we share our findings with the person who asked for the review and with other flood risk management authorities and relevant landowners. We also record the review to help us make decisions about future flood risk management.
Flood review and investigation timescales
Where we have a number of flooding incidents to investigate, we look first at those where the potential risk to the community as a whole is highest. We publish reports in a timely manner.
Current flood investigations
Following the extreme weather, we are currently investigating widespread flooding of property associated with the following dates and areas:
- 12 June 2019 (Bollington, Calverley)*
- 25-26 October 2019 (River Weaver catchment (Nantwich, Wynbunbury, Calverley, Crewe, Church Minshull) and Little Bollington*
- November 2019 (Calverley, Crewe, Bradfield Green, Maw Green, Burland)*
- 20-21 January 2021 Storm Christoph *
Contact us on 0300 123 5500 or Flood.Investigation@cheshireeast.gov.uk to report flooding at your property on any date or in any location within Cheshire East, or to submit photographic or video evidence of flooding to aid investigations.
*The areas listed are based on reported locations, if your property/business flooded in any of these events contact us so that the investigation can be extended include your experiences. No address information is reported in our published flood reports, this information is only used by ourselves and the relevant flood risk management authorities and remains confidential.
Past flood incident investigations
To protect confidentiality, we remove personal/property details from flood reports.
Page last reviewed: 26 November 2021
Thank you for your feedback.