SEND statutory assessment and monitoring team’s application for a school place

If you are a parent or carer of a child with a EHCP and your child is moving educational setting due to a change of phase such as moving from Primary School to Secondary school you will need to complete the SEND application form for a place at Cheshire East school/college September 2022.

Before submitting the form it is important to know

  • This form is used for both Primary and Secondary applications so make sure you select the correct option.
  • There is not an option to save the form and come back to it at a later time so you must complete the form in one go.
  • Once the completed form has been submitted you do not have an option to change the information.
  • You can only submit the form once and any additional application forms will not be considered.

Advice for parents/carers on completing the application form

  • Why do I need to complete the application form?
    By law, we must give you an opportunity to express a preference for the school you would like your child to attend and to give reasons for your preference.
  • What if I move house between submitting my application form?
    During the admissions procedure you must notify the SEND Assessment and Monitoring Team in writing of any change of home address.
  • What happens if I do not complete the preference form?
    If you do not complete this form we will offer your child a place at his/her local catchment school or a school deemed appropriate by the Local Authority to meet your child’s needs.
  • I want a place at my local catchment area school – do I still need to complete the form expressing a preference for this school?
    Yes, you must complete this form, even if you have already completed a form provided by the school.
  • I have an older child already attending my preferred school – do I still need to complete the form?
    Yes, you must still complete the application form. Having an older child at your preferred school does not automatically guarantee you a place for your younger child.
  • If I want a place at an aided or foundation School – do I still need to return the form?
    Yes, parents’ and carers’ preferences for places at aided and foundation schools must be made on the Local Authority’s SEND application form. Consultation will take place with the relevant school if appropriate.
  • My child is going to an independent school in September – should I still complete the form?
    Even if you are applying to an independent school we still advise you to use this form to state preferences for local authority maintained schools in case your application for an independent school is unsuccessful.  If your child has already been offered a definite place at an independent school, please email the SEND Statutory Assessment & Monitoring Team, stating that this is why you are not expressing any preferences.
  • When will I know which school my child has been allocated a place at?
    Proposed Amendments of Education Health and Care Plans will be issued in February 2022 naming the school.

If you are unsure which is your preferred school, the following information may be of use:

  • Information about school open days is available on the individual school’s website, as is information on how to contact the school SENCo. Please also consider contacting the SENCo at your current setting.
  • *Information on Cheshire Primary Schools is contained in the booklet ‘Cheshire East Primary Schools 2022-2023’, which can be viewed on our information booklets page or telephone 0300 123 5012. (This is currently in the process of being updated.) 
  • The Cheshire East Information, Advice and Support team (CEIAS) offers free confidential and impartial information, advice and support to parents and carers of young people aged 0 - 25 who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) as well as young people themselves. They can be contacted on 0300 123 5166.  

If you have any further queries, please contact the team by:

Find a service

Rate this page

How do you rate this page?