Educational Psychology Service

What is an educational psychologist

An educational psychologist provides guidance and support to schools on a range of issues including special educational needs. They work with parents, carers and practitioners to identify and support the special educational needs of individual children both at home and school.

How an educational psychologist can help my child

Educational psychologists help children and young people from birth through to the age of 25. They assess how best to help your child/young person through observing and working with them at home and school. They will meet with you, with teachers and other professionals involved with your child.

The educational psychologist works closely with you and the staff at your child’s school to plan a programme of support for your child. Programmes of support may include:

  • visiting schools on a regular basis using a problem solving approach called ‘consultation’
  • special training for teachers and other staff/professionals
  • provide work and research to support teaching and learning
  • working with parents/carers to help minimise difficulties at home and at school
  • working with schools and organisations to provide guidance and support
  • working with other professionals (e.g. Social Care, Speech and Language therapy, Cheshire East Autism Team)

How can I get help from an educational psychologist?

Usually the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) at the school will contact an educational psychologist after deciding that your child might benefit from their help. The school would then contact you to ask for your permission to provide this specialist support and ask for your views on what you think will help your child.

If you think your child needs help but you have not been contacted by the school then you should speak to your child’s teacher or the SENCo at the school.

One Minute Guides

Educational Psychology Team
Parental Consultation Sessions 2019 - 2020

Parents, carers; do you have any questions or concerns about the well-being, behaviour, learning or development of your child?

Come and speak to an Educational Psychologist. We will be holding free 45 minutes sessions for parents/carers in Children’s Centres (see dates below). Booking is required.

Conversations tend to be more open and productive without the focus child present. Pre-school children MAY be able to join a session at the Children’s Centre if no alternative child care facilities are available. Please enquire with the individual centre when booking.

If you have any questions please contact The Educational Psychology Team.

Consultation Session dates 2019

Consultation Session dates 2020

Contact details

Nicola West – Principal Educational Psychologist
Macclesfield Town Hall
Market Place
SK10 1EA

Tel: 01625 374794

Find a service

Rate this page

How do you rate this page?