Apply for a temporary road closure
The temporary closure of roads in Cheshire East requires our approval. View current temporary road closures on the latest roadworks page.
When to apply
- If the planned duration of the road closure is more than 5 days the application to close the road must be submitted 3 months before the planned start date to allow for statutory advertising in local newspapers.
- If the road closure is planned to be less than 5 days applications must be submitted at least 4 weeks before the start date.
- In the case of an emergency or urgent road closure the application can be made retrospectively, as soon as reasonably practicable. Reasons for restrictions must be given.
Road closure charges
temporary Road closure charges
|Closure period||Charge £|
|Temporary orders (more than 5 days)
||£1427 (includes advertising and admin fees)
|Temporary notice (5 days or less)
||£819 plus £ 226 for each restriction
|Emergency notice (21 days)
||£819 plus £226 for each restriction
Where the event is organised by a non profit making organisation but there is a significant commercial element or the event is organised directly by a commercial organisation then the event organiser should be charged as per the current charging practice.
You can apply by going to the road closures page.
Charities, community groups and non profit making organisations
organising non commercial events (with no significant commercial gain) are not charged.
Schedule of standard conditions
- The applicant must submit a 1:1250 or 1:500 scale plan of the proposed site clearly showing:
- precise location and length of restriction including road names
- precise location and length of diversion route including road names
- signing schedule giving detail and position of temporary traffic signs
- proposed access arrangement for pedestrians and cyclists. If access cannot be maintained please ensure reasons are outlined within section 5 of the road closure application form.
- The applicant shall employ a competent traffic management engineer to design a suitable traffic diversion route and sign schedule, the details of which will be submitted with the application for approval by Cheshire East Highways
- For planned works advance warning signs must be erected 14 days prior to the works commencing, at each end of the closure.
- Where the restriction affects businesses and frontage owners the application shall be wholly responsible for notifying them at least 10 days in advance.
- All traffic management must comply with the Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice issued by the Department for Transport. The applicant shall ensure that all signs are maintained, and removed upon completion of the restriction.
- Where a submitted application for a temporary traffic regulation has been processed and is subsequently cancelled by the applicant the fee is non-refundable.
- When submitting your online application, please ensure that a corresponding streetworks permit / licence has been applied for. Failure to do this may result in a delay in processing your closure application.
- When submitting the online application include the permit reference number on page 3 of the form in the space marked as works reference number.