Temporary road closures and restrictions licence

You need a licence for temporary road closures and restrictions in Cheshire East including:

  • lane closures
  • footpath closures
  • weight restrictions
  • height restrictions
  • speed restrictions
  • parking/waiting restrictions

For permission to park where there is normally a restriction and the parking is essential to order to carry out works, see parking dispensation.

Before you apply for a road closure licence, you will need to get a traffic management plan prepared by a competent traffic management engineer.

If you want to close a road for an event, you must as a first step register the event with our  Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG). The ESAG can give advice on the process.

If you are planning to occupy the road, you must also apply for a streetworks permit (utilities), an S50 streetworks licence (firms other than utilities working on apparatus) or an S171 licence (other excavations). There may be delays in processing your road closure application if you have not applied for the relevant permit or licence.

For permission to close a road for events, see road closures for events.

For permission to close a road for roadworks, apply online for a temporary road closure or restriction via GOV.UK

You’ll need to download the form and save it to your computer. To edit the form you'll need a recent version of Adobe Reader. Open the form using Adobe Reader instead of your web browser.

If you are able to submit your GOV.UK form but unable to make the payment due to an intermittent fault you can pay using our temporary road closures payment form

What you must give us when you apply

When you apply, you must provide a traffic management plan at a scale of 1:1,250 (or greater) designed by a traffic management engineer. The plan must include:

  • the location and length of the restriction, including road names
  • the location and length of any diversion route, including road names
  • a signing schedule giving the detail and position of any temporary traffic signs
  • details of proposed access for pedestrians and cyclists (or an explanation on the road closure form as to why no access is possible)
  • a signage schedule

We may ask for proof of public liability insurance indemnifying us for a minimum of £5 million. 

Notes on filling in the gov.uk temporary road closure licence form

Works reference number

Where the form asks for works reference number, give your streetworks licence or permit number if you have one, or note that you have applied for a streetworks permit, S50 licence or S171 licence as applicable.

Emergency contact details

On section 7 (Emergency Contact Details) the number you provide will be publicised on the notice or order and will be seen by the public.

When to apply

For planned closures of more than 5 days, you must apply at least 12 weeks in advance.This is because we have to advertise the closure in local newspapers

For most planned closures of 5 days or less, you must apply at least 8 weeks in advance. In some circumstances we may need up to 12 weeks notice. 

For urgent/emergency work you can apply after you have closed the road and as soon as reasonably practical. 

After you apply

After you apply, we’ll review your application to make sure your plans are suitable for the site. We’ll check that the plans won’t put road users at risk or affect other works or events in the area and that disruption will be kept to a minimum.

We will contact you if any amendments are needed, and confirm our decision as soon as we can.

Fees for works-related road closures and restrictions 

Temporary notice (21 days) Avoidance of danger (no rebate for subsequently cancelled applications) = £1078.60 plus £269.70 per restriction

Temporary order - no rebate for subsequently cancelled applications (includes advertising and admin fee) = £1729.00 plus £269.70 per restriction

Temporary notice – 5 days (no rebate for subsequently cancelled applications) = £1078.60 plus £269.70 per restriction

Fees are non refundable. 

Fees for road closures for events

For fees for event road closures see Road closures for events.


For works-related road closures, you will need to pay online when you submit your application.

When working on a closed road,you must keep workers and the public safe and minimise inconvenience.

Advance warning signs

For planned works, you must put up advance warning signs at each end of the closure 14 days before the work is due to start.

Telling businesses and residents

Where the closure or restriction affects businesses and residents or other frontage owners, you must notify them at least 14 days in advance.

Health and safety

You must comply with all relevant health and safety legislation and codes of practice including the Department for Transport’s  Safety at Street Works and Road Works Code of Practice. You can be fined or prosecuted if you don’t comply.

Traffic management 

You must appoint a competent traffic management company, with operatives qualified to Sector 12D of the National Highway Sector Scheme.

Signage during the road closure 

You must make sure all signs you erect are properly maintained. You must then remove them when you finish the work.

Clearing the site

You must clear the site and take away any rubbish when you have finished. If we have to take rubbish away, we will charge you for the cost of doing so. 

Failure to comply with any of the above listed responsibilities, will result in your licence/permit being revoked

Temporary road closures are covered by part 9 of the Highways Act 1980

Page last reviewed: 16 September 2021