Dropped kerb - vehicular crossing

Owners of a property who regularly cross a footpath or verge with a vehicle to access the road or highway can apply to have a properly constructed crossing at their own expense. 

How to apply for a dropped kerb

There are several considerations to take into account before permission can be granted to create a vehicular crossing or dropped kerb.

  1. Find out whether you need planning permission - your request may require written confirmation after submitting a permitted development enquiry planning permission for a vehicular crossing may be required for when:
    • the property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road (A, B or C road). Use the road gazetteer to find the class of roads in Cheshire East, it's the first letter of the road number.
    • the property involved is a listed building
    • the property involved is something other than a house for a single family. This includes flats, maisonettes and commercial or industrial premises
  2. If full planning permission is required, you need to apply for planning consent
  3. Once you have permitted development or planning permission you can make an application to Highways (PDF, 451KB)  You need to include your planning consent and a plan.
  4. If a positive form of traffic management (e.g. temporary signals) is required to safely undertake the works please ensure a Section 171 application (PDF, 400KB) is completed.


If the relocation of a street lighting column is required to allow for the dropped kerb to be installed, this will incur additional costs.


It is an offence under S.184 of the Highways Act 1980 to habitually gain vehicular access to a property or land without the use of a properly constructed vehicular crossing (dropped kerb).