Driver Licence Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles
Cheshire East Council issues a combined licence enabling drivers to drive both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicles. A licence lasts for 3 years. It is the Council's duty to ensure that all licensed drivers are suitable for the purpose so criminal record checks and medical checks are required for each applicant and applicants are also required to pass a knowledge test.
It is very important that anyone wanting to become a licensed driver within Cheshire East is aware of all the Council’s requirements before they commence any part of the application process (including any formal qualifications). Completing the application process is no guarantee that an application will be granted.
To become a Joint Driver you will need to:
- All applicants must hold either the Btec Level 2 Certificate in the introduction to the role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver or the NVQ level 2 Certificate in Road Passenger Vehicle driving (Taxi and Private Hire Driver) or be enrolled on a course before they make application. No licence will be issued until the BTEC has been passed and the certificate has been verified. Obtaining either the BTEC or the NVQ is not a guarantee that a licence will be granted. Any applicant must also satisfy the Council that they are a fit and proper person . Applications will also be determined by the Council’s General Licensing Sub-Committee.
- Submit a completed application form:
- Pass a group II medical by your own doctor. This must be completed on a Cheshire East medical form only. Driver Medical Examination Form (PDF, 134KB) Other medical forms cannot be accepted. There is also guidance for medical professionals when assessing the fitness of a driver.
- Complete an enhanced disclosure and barring certificate online at the Customer Service Centre at either Delamere House, Crewe or Macclesfield Town Hall. (Please note Customer Service Centres can only accept payment by card or cheque). A DBS check which is more than 28 days old will not be accepted when making an application for a Joint Driver Licence.
- Provide one colour passport sized photograph
- Certificate of Good Conduct - If you have been living in the UK for less than 5 years at the time of application or have lived outside the UK in the last 5 years then you will also need to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Embassy in those Countries in which you resided. This document must be a certified translation if the original Embassy Certificate is not in English.
Right to work in the UK (Changes to the Immigration Act 2016) - From 1st December 2016 we must comply with the Immigration Act 2016. The Act places a duty on the council to only issue licences to individuals who can demonstrate that they have the ‘Right to work in the UK within the taxi trade’. Please provide Document(s) from either List A or List B (PDF, 276KB), which demonstrates that you have the right to work in the UK within the taxi licensing trade.
All applicants will be required to pass a theory test that consists of a knowledge test of the Cheshire East area and questions in relation to the Taxi Legislation (see information document below). Applicants will be expect to show a suitable knowledge of the Borough before a licence will be issued.
- Applicants must have held a driving licence granted under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988 for a period of 12 months or more (this includes UK and EEA licences). To verify this and to confirm any driving endorsements or disqualifications you are required to complete the driving entitlement consent form (PDF, 156KB) allowing us to contact the DVLA for information. If you fail to submit this form with your completed application form, your application will be rejected as incomplete.
In order to complete your criminal records form you must establish how many forms of identification you need to produce.
As of the 8 January 2018 you must submit your completed application and required documentation in person by appointment at one of our Customer Service Centres. Cheques must be made payable to ‘Cheshire East Council’ To make an appointment please call Cheshire East Customer Services on 0300 123 5015.
New Check and Send Service
A new Check and Send Service will be available for Joint Driver and Vehicle applications from the 18 September 2017. The purpose of this service is:
- to check all sections of an application are filled out correctly
- to make sure that all supporting documents (including photos) are submitted with the correct applications
- to check the correct fee has been paid
- to provide information on the application processes
Each applicant who does not accept the service needs to be aware this could cause a delay in processing their application if the correct information is not submitted.
Using the check and send service may be faster than submitting an application yourself however using the Check and Send service does not guarantee you will be granted a licence.
The fee for this service is £10.00 and is available at the Customer Service Centres.
Policy on convictions and driving offences
It is very important that anyone wanting to become a licensed driver within the Cheshire East area should read and understand this Policy before commencing any part of the process necessary for obtaining a licence or before making an application
Where can I obtain the BTEC Certificate?
There are many colleges and training providers that undertake this qualification. It is up to each individual application where they choose to take the course.
Knowledge test information
With effect from the 1 February 2016 the way we test taxi drivers is going to change. The following guidance document sets out the new testing process
The Knowledge Test papers are split into three different areas. Congleton, Crewe and Nantwich and Macclesfield Zones. Depending on which paper you choose will determine what questions you will receive on Section one of the paper.
The areas the papers cover are:
- Congleton (Congleton, Sandbach, Middlewich and rural areas)
- Crewe and Nantwich (Crewe, Nantwich, Shavington and rural areas)
- Macclesfield (Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Knutsford, Alderley Edge and rural areas)
- Joint Hackney Carriage/Private Hire New applications - £97.00 (3 years, excluding DBS check, DVLA check and knowledge tests)
- Joint Hackney Carriage/Private Hire renewal - £115.00 (3 years, excluding DBS check and DVLA check)
- An enhanced DBS check costs £48.00
- Two Knowledge Tests £90.00
- DVLA check £5.00
Penalty points policy