Street Trading

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. If you trade in the street you may require a street trading licence.  Some exceptions include market traders and news vendors but you should check your circumstances with us.

As of the 8 January 2018 any application you make in person at one of Contact Centres must be done by appointment. To make an appointment please call Cheshire East Customer Services on 0300 123 5015. Cheques must be made payable to ‘Cheshire East Council’


Apply and pay online on GOV.UK


Download an application form for a Street Trading Licence (PDF, 154KB)


The fee for an application is £375.00 and can be paid by debit or credit card over the telephone on 0300 123 5015.  Alternatively you can send a cheque made payable to Cheshire East Council.

Application evaluation process

Certain streets in the Authority are designated as Consent Streets or Prohibited Streets.

  • Prohibited streets - no selling is permitted
  • Consent Streets - must first obtain a Street Trading Consent from the Council

View details of the street designations in Cheshire East Authority areas

An application is not valid until we have received the completed application form, the fee and a map clearly indicating the area from which you wish to trade. We will then consult with partners and will inform you of our decision within 1 month of your application.

There are conditions attached to a Street Trading Consent, when you sign your application form you are agreeing to abide by those conditions. 

Eligibility criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

You will be requested to provide evidence of relevant insurance.

Food traders must also be registered with the local Environmental Health office as a food business.

Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days
  • you are unsuitable to hold a licence do to any previous convictions or for other reasons
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence 

If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office

Right of appeal

If you wish to appeal a decision of the council you may appeal to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the date you were notified of the decision.

You may appeal the decision of a Magistrates' Court to the local Crown Court.


Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Contact us

0300 123 5015

Cheshire East Council
Municipal Buildings
Earle Street


Call in to our Customer Service Centres

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?