Permitted development enquiries

The Permitted Development Enquiry service is currently unavailable as of Monday 1 February until further notice, this will be reviewed accordingly, please do not submit any new Permitted Development Enquiries at this time.

To find out whether you need to apply for planning permission, refer to: Do I need planning permission?

If you are in any doubt about whether you need to apply for planning permission, you should consult the Planning Office to avoid any costly enforcement action by the Council.

Charging for enquiries

What enquiries do the charges apply to?

The charges apply to all enquiries relating to whether planning permission or advertisement consent is required for a proposed development or change of use, including all householder development.

How much will it cost?

There is a standard charge of £75 per enquiry. Cheques should be made payable to Cheshire East Council.

How to apply

Enquiries relating to householder development will only be accepted on the standard form (PDF, 223KB). This form is for completion by hand and if an accessible online version is required, please email

The Householder Prior Notification form (PDF, 272KB) may be used if you are proposing a single storey rear extension which would project between 3 and 6 metres from the original wall of an attached house or would project between 4 and 8 metres from the original wall of a detached house. This form should not be used for any other type of extension or if:

  1. the house  is within a Conservation Area;
  2. the house is within a Site of Special Scientific Interest or
  3. any part of the extension would exceed 4 metres in height.

The Council has prepared guidance on the Householder Prior Notification procedure.

Other enquiries should be made by letter or email giving as much detail as possible about the proposals. The fee must be provided with the enquiry or it will not be dealt with.

Your enquiry will usually be dealt with in 21 days. 

For a formal ruling, you (or your adviser) can apply, on payment of a fee, for a "lawful development certificate".  See Making an application for more information. 

Contact us

Contact Development Management - Planning

0300 123 5014

Development Management
Cheshire East Council
PO Box 606
Municipal Buildings

Page last reviewed: 11 November 2022