Other land or building consents

If you do not need to apply for planning permission, you may need other consents or approvals before you  start work.

  • Planning Portal for further advice on planning permission
  • Building Control to find out if the development needs approval under Building Regulations
  • Cheshire East Council Planning Enquiries if development involves land owned by Cheshire East Council or is affected by covenants owned by the council
  • Public Rights of Way if the development affects a public footpath, bridleway, restricted byway or byway open to all traffic
  • Highways if the development involves a new highway, new access or alteration to an existing access
  • United Utilities or email maps.direct@uuplc.co.uk if the development involves a connection or altering a sewer, septic tank or soakaway system
  • Environment Agency if the development involves the construction of a watercourse
  • Address Management if the development needs a creation or amendment of a postal address
  • contact your solicitor if the land is affected by private covenants

Party Wall Act

If the development involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring building
you must find out whether that work falls within the Party Wall Act 1996.  If it does you must notify all affected neighbours.  
If the development encroaches on land owned by others you need their consent. Planning permission does not authorise the use of another persons land; a permission can only be implemented with their consent.

Contact us

Contact Development Management - Planning


0300 123 5014

Development Management
Cheshire East Council
PO Box 606
Municipal Buildings

Page last reviewed: 07 September 2017