Report a flood

Emergencies and where lives or property are in danger

If there is an emergency or risk to life always call 999.

If your home is at immediate risk of flooding, see the  FloodHub for practical advice.

In the event of serious flooding, we work closely with the emergency services. We help where we can, in particular where people are vulnerable. We have a network of local people and organisations we can call on to help when there's a flood.

Flooding on roads 

Use our online form to report a flood or drainage issue on roads other than major trunk roads.

The form asks you to choose either flooding or gully/drainage. Choose gully/drainage if it is clear that blocked gullies or drains are causing the problem.

In dealing with blocked drains, we prioritise flooding on main roads. 

  • To report an urgent incident phone 0300 123 5020
  • To report an urgent incident out of working hours 0300 123 5025 (for use after 5pm and before 9am, including weekends.)

During adverse weather, we deal with minor flooding, standing water and blocked drains. Heavy rainfall and storms can overwhelm the capacity of some drainage systems, causing standing water on the surface. If the water drains away, then the gully is not blocked, it was unable to cope with the volume of water that fell in the storm.

Flooding on major trunk roads (A55, A483, A556/A550)

Contact Highways England to report flooding on major trunk roads.

Report issues online using the: On Line Reporting Tool, via the 24hr Customer Contact Centre: 0300 123 5000 or email

Flooding from rivers and streams

Contact the Environment Agency to report flooding from rivers and streams.

  • Floodline 0345 988 1188 (24 hour service)

Flooding from sewers or water pipes

Contact United Utilities to report flooding from sewers or water pipes.

Flooding from a canal

Contact the Canal and River Trust to report flooding from a canal.

Electricity and power line emergencies

Contact National Grid ESO to report flooding affecting the electricity supply network

Gas emergencies

Contact National Grid Gas to report flooding affecting gas pipes.

Page last reviewed: 14 June 2023