Do you need help with your hearing?

View services to help you with your hearing

If you, or someone you know, has a hearing impairment, then you may need help to live independently.

Hearing impairments take many different forms. People can be born deaf or develop a hearing impairment for a variety of reasons. Whatever your type of hearing impairment, there may be devices and support available to help you stay independent and connected.

Find more information about Hearing Impairment and Apps that can help

Check your hearing

You can check your hearing for free using the Action on Hearing Loss online hearing check or automated telephone service (0844 800 3838). 

You can also ask your GP (family doctor) for a hearing examination. Your doctor may decide to refer you on to a specialist NHS service for further tests – this may be an ear, nose and throat (ENT) department, audiology department or hearing clinic. They will be able to tell you the specifics of your hearing impairment and whether it is permanent.

The specialist service or your doctor will also be able to advise whether a hearing aid might be suitable for you and help you access one.

High street opticians may also offer free hearing aids checks for those aged over 60.

Help with Staying Independent

The Council commissions the Deafness Support Network to help people with hearing loss. This aims to help people remain independent by providing advice on skills and support.

They can also advise on equipment to help you stay independent. This includes devices like a flashing light for a doorbell or telephone and a textphone.

Page last reviewed: 12 January 2021

Find a service

Can we improve this page?

Tell us how