Communication and Language
Communication and language skills are the foundations for children’s learning in school and beyond. The term “communication” covers a range of skills, from knowing how to build a sentence to using eye contact and facial expression appropriately. Most children acquire language naturally in the early years, but many, particularly in areas of social deprivation, do not. Language skills at age 5 are a strong predictor of academic achievement, life chances and long-term mental health. That’s why it’s so important that we identify language needs early on, so we have the best chance of helping these children be ready for learning, and ready for life beyond school.
Cheshire East Chatters
Cheshire East Chatters is a collaborative initiative led by Speech and Language Therapists and members of the Early Start Team. We aim to upskill Early Years Practitioners to identify and provide support for children’s language difficulties as early as possible. Our training courses are offered universally and we also offer bespoke support to target settings in the most socially deprived areas of Cheshire East.
Resources to help you with your child's speech and language development.
Training Dates Spring 2022
Chatters training dates
|Date ||Course title ||Venue||Time|
|Thursday 27 January
|Friday 4 February
||Oakenclough Children’s Centre
|Thursday 10 February
||Delivering Small Groups
|Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 February (attend both sessions)
||An Introduction to Attachment and Communication
|Thursday 17 March
|Tuesday 22 March
Wednesday 23 March
(attend one session)
|Early Language Lead Network meeting
Cheshire East Chatters is excited to offer the following training courses available in the Early Years short courses shop:
Introduction to Attachment and Communication
This one day training course aims to:
- develop practitioners knowledge of early attachment and the links to speech and language development
- explore the areas of the communication pyramid in greater depth
- discuss typical development and how to support children with speech and language needs
- discuss the local speech and language therapy pathway and guidance around making referrals into the SLT NHS service.
This one day Interaction training course aims to:
- discuss and define terms relating to communication and why interaction is so important
- it will look at 'Top Tips for Talking' and ways you can adapt your interactions to promote communication and support the needs of the developing child
- discuss how language levels and interaction styles differ between children and how you can differentiate to support individual children's communication development
- focus on the practicalities of how to integrate high quality adult-interaction into your daily routine.
During this one day course there will be opportunities to:
- discuss and define terms relating to communication and how these relate to the WellComm screening tool
- examine the rationale behind using WellComm to screen, track and monitor individual children
- receive practical support on how to use the screen and how to integrate WellComm activities into daily best practice within the setting
- try out WellComm screening and activities from the Big Book of Ideas and to discuss the practicalities of setting up targeted groups.
- You will be given group session plans to develop communication skills in both indoor and outdoor spaces. The course aims to:
- Explore ways to set up small groups within your settings to develop attention and listening and language skills
- Discuss how to identify children for the groups and you will be given the opportunity to carry out activities from the group session plans.
- Discuss using a total communication approach to support children to engage with the activities
Early language leads
We encourage all early years settings to designate an Early Language Lead, who can be responsible for ensuring best practice for supporting communication is in place within your nursery.
- ACI Checklist (WORD, 122KB)
- Vocabulary Planning Sheet (MS Word,36KB)
- Best Practice Guidelines (PDF, 258KB)
- Communication Pyramid (PDF, 202KB)
- EAL Progress tracker (PDF, 496KB)
- Comprehensive Word Levels (PDF, 122KB)
- Sound Development Checklist (PDF, 212KB)
- Supporting Children with Speech Sounds (PDF, 217KB)
- WellComm Group profiling sheet (PDF, 363)
- Key Messages - Dummy's (PDF, 325KB)
- Key Messages - Rhymes (PDF, 771KB)
- Top tips for talking with children 0 - 5 years (PDF, 304KB)
- ECat Enabling Environments Audit (PDF, 121KB)
- Universally speaking - talking point
Setting up a communication and Language display