Skip and skip operator permit (Highways)

Any skip placed on the highway requires a permit. If you wish to put a skip on the road outside your house contact your skip supplier. The skip supplier must obtain the permit. For waste carrier and disposal licences skip operators should contact the Environment Agency

You should submit your application at least 48 hours before it is required.


Failure to have a valid license for a skip will result in a £300 charge.

Application evaluation

We give permission subject to conditions which may relate to the site and size of the skip, making the skip visible to traffic, removal and care and disposal of the contents.

Where we process applications and subsequently refuse them, we will refund 50% of the application fee.

Right of appeal

Contact Cheshire East Council in the first instance.


Contact us

Report a problem online

If you consider a highways issue to be dangerous, or an emergency, please call us on:

0300 123 5020
(8:30am – 5:00pm)

0300 123 5025
(after 5pm and before 8:30am, including weekends)

Floor 6
Delamere House

Delamere Street Crewe

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?