Council Tax and new build properties

Council Tax is payable on new properties from the date it is occupied, or the date specified on a  Completion Notice.

To register your new property with us for Council Tax use our change of address form.

See the information you need before you fill in the form on our Change of address page 

We will update our records and notify the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) that the property needs to be banded. We cannot issue your Council Tax bill until the property has been given a  Council Tax valuation band 

The banding process can take a couple of months, maybe longer. Local councils have no say in banding decisions. Once the  VOA have made their decision, they will write to you and to us. You will probably hear slightly before we do.

When you receive your bill, you will need to pay from the date your liability began, this could be the date you moved into the property or the date on a Completion Notice.

To estimate what your band might be, check Council Tax Valuation bands and Council Tax charges.

It is a good idea to put money aside so you can be sure you will have the money to pay the bill when it comes.

Contact the Council Tax team

Translate this page with Google translate

Page last reviewed: 16 March 2022