Council Tax bands 

Don’t contact us if you think that your Council Tax valuation band may be wrong. We have no control over banding and don’t deal with appeals. If you have any concerns regarding the assessment of your Council Tax contact the Valuation Office Agency direct.

The Valuation Office Agency puts every domestic property into a Council Tax band from A-H. The band is based on the assumed market value as at 1 April 1991. There has been no revaluation in England and this is why the 1 April 1991 remains the date used. 

The higher the band, the more Council Tax you pay.

Council Tax bands
Council Tax bandValuation of property at 1 April 1991
A Up to £40,000
B £40,001 to £52,000
C £52,001 to £68,000
D £68,001 to £88,000
E £88,001 to £120,000
F £120,001 to £160,000
G £160,001 to £320,000
H £320,001 and over

Check your Council Tax band

You can check your Council Tax band at GOV.UK.

You can appeal against your Council Tax band to the Valuation Office Agency if you think your property is in the wrong band.

You must still pay your Council Tax bill while you’re waiting to hear about your appeal.

Changes to Council Tax bands

The Council Tax band of a property might change if the property has been altered, or after a property of a similar type in the area has been re-banded. See GOV.UK

Council Tax charges

If you want to know the amount payable for the current year, visit our about Council Tax page.

You can see your own Council Tax bill on your Cheshire East Account. 

Contact us

Translate this page with Google translate

Page last reviewed: 04 October 2022