Council Tax change of circumstances
It's important to tell us about changes so we can make sure your Council Tax is right. Where the change might affect how much Council Tax you pay, you might pay too much if you don’t tell us immediately. Or you might not pay enough, and have to pay the extra later all in one go.
If you are claiming Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit, you will also need to tell our Benefits team about the change of circumstance.
The law says you must tell us within 21 days of the change. If it’s already been longer than 21 days, you should tell us straightaway.
If someone else is helping you sort out your Council Tax, you can give us permission to talk to them by signing our authority to disclose form (PDF, 150KB)
How to tell the Council Tax team about changes of circumstance
You can use the forms on our Change of address page if:
- you move house (on or after the date of the move)
- you are a landlord and need to report tenants moving in or out
You can use the forms on our Council Tax reductions page to tell us that
- you're now the only person over 18 in the property and you want to start claiming 25% Single Person Discount
For other types of change, including the following, you'll need to contact the Council Tax team:
- you change your name, or you want to tell us we have got your name wrong
- you’re getting a reduction because of a particular person, and they are moving out or have died
- you have sold a property that no one was living in
- you own properties other than the one you live in or you are an agent, and you have changed your contact details
- you’re getting a reduction because a young person aged 18 or over has been in education or an apprenticeship, and the course or apprenticeship is ending
- you’re getting a reduction other than Single Person Discount because someone had left the household temporarily, and they are now coming back
- you're getting a reduction other than Single Person Discount or Disabled Band Reduction and another adult moves in.
You don't need to tell us about new adults moving in if you are currently paying the full Council Tax charge.
Contact the Council Tax team
If your circumstances have changed in another way and you think you might be able to pay less, you can find out about Council Tax reductions for occupied properties and Council Tax reductions for unoccupied properties.
What happens next when you tell us about a change of circumstance
We'll send you a new Council Tax bill confirming the new details. We’ll let you know within 20 working days if the amount you need to pay changes. It might take longer if we need to ask you for more information.
Reporting a death
For information about Council Tax when someone dies and how to report a death, see Council Tax when someone dies.