Council Tax change of circumstances 

You must tell us about any change in your circumstances that may affect your Council Tax so we can make sure your Council Tax is right. 

Where the change might affect how much Council Tax you pay, you might pay too much if you don’t tell us immediately. Or you might not pay enough, and have to pay the extra later all in one go.

The law says you must tell us within 21 days of the change. If it’s already been longer than 21 days, you should tell us straightaway. 

How to tell the Council Tax team about changes of circumstance

Use the forms on our  Council Tax reductions page to tell us that 

  • you're now the only person over 18 in the property and you want to start claiming 25% Single Person Discount
  • you're no longer the only person over 18 in the property and you want to stop claiming 25% Single Person Discount

If your circumstances have changed in another way and you think you might be able to pay less, you can find out about   Council Tax reductions for occupied properties and  Council Tax reductions for unoccupied properties.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

Use our change of circumstances form to:

  • change the name on your bill, or tell us we have got your name wrong

or to tell us that:

  • your correspondence address has changed
  • someone has moved into or out of your property
  • you have sold a property that was previously unoccupied
  • you have moved into a property you already owned
  • something has changed that might affect a reduction you currently receive

You don't need to tell us about new adults moving in if you are currently paying the full Council Tax charge. 

If you are claiming Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit, you will need to tell our Benefits team about the change.

Further information on the types of changes you need to report if you are claiming Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support, or 2nd Adult Rebate (for example income related changes) and the online form to report the change can be found on the Benefits Change of Circumstance page.

If someone else is helping you sort out your Council Tax, you can give us permission to talk to them by signing our  authority to disclose form:

Authority to disclose

What happens next when you tell us about a change of circumstance

We'll send you a new Council Tax bill confirming the new details. This can take up to 20 working days if we need more information. If we need to do an internal inspection of your property to confirm information, we will contact you to arrange an appointment.

Translate this page with Google translate

Contact us

Page last reviewed: 04 October 2022