This page provides an overview of the towns within the boundaries of Cheshire East. You can also find information about specific town and parish councils.
A hamlet until the 1840s, is one of the earliest leafy retreats in the world to be promoted by a railway company for merchants - from Manchester twelve miles away! The village has attractive Victorian houses and a pleasant shopping centre. There are walks close to the sheer face of the Edge complete with Arthurian Legends.
A pleasant little town, principally a rural suburb that provides easy access for people who work in the Potteries. Alsager Mere is a beauty spot on the edge of the countryside.
- Alsager Tour Guide - A photographic map guide of the city, with information on general interests, shops and city life.
- Alsager Information - details of the history and community of Alsager.
Near Congleton, is a pretty village around a well-kept Green that sports a springtime display of daffodils. The fine church, dating from the 12th to the 15th centuries, is noted for its detached tower and spire, carved oak roof and furnishings.
On Cheshire's southern boundary is an ancient market town on the River Weaver. The old Market House with its eight stone pillars is a landmark, in front of the fine Decorated and Perpendicular church with its noble tower.
- Audlem Online - Town and area information.
- Audlem Information - details of the history and community of Audlem.
- Audlem Mill - The Mill, known locally as Kingbur Mill, was built around 1916. Nowadays provides craft events.
Near Macclesfield is best known for cotton manufacture and the massive railway viaduct. 'White Nancy' is a stone tower nearly 1,000 feet above sea level giving magnificent views across the surrounding countryside. The Macclesfield Canal with adjoining woodland offers attractive leisure opportunities.
- Bollington - visit the "Happy Valley" site for maps, pubs and restaurants, local history, organisations, businesses and artisans, and to learn about a local heritage initiative.
- Bollington Information - details of the history and community of Bollington.
lies east of the central ridge, not far from Beeston Castle. The village has a restored water-powered corn mill, and a splendid Decorated and Perpendicular church containing important monuments.
A township on the River Dane, near Congleton. With a rich history dating back to Anglo Saxon times, Buglawton's main historical trade was the textile industry with several local silk mills in operation until the late 19th century. Today Buglawton boasts a thriving and close knit community.
Situated between Macclesfield and Knutsford has a church dating from 1776 although its west tower and spire are later. The box pews, panelling, pulpit and gallery are all original. The village is also the venue of one of Cheshire's best known cattle markets.
In the heart of the southeast Cheshire farmland, a market town since the Middle Ages, Congleton remains a lively shopping centre with historic buildings including delightful Elizabethan pubs on its old main street. Mow Cop and closer at hand the Cloud give magnificent views in all directions and have interesting rock formations.
Developed as a railway town, Crewe retains its importance today as a major rail junction and centre for locomotive building and repair. Added to this, Crewe is the historic home of the Rolls Royce motor car and the ongoing home of Bentley Motors amongst many other widely known companies. Extensive shopping and civic centres are complemented by exceptional social and recreational facilities. The 50 acre plus Queens Park is recognised as the finest in the North.
Lies in the picturesque Goyt Valley, through which pass the Peak Forest Canal and the road and railway from Manchester to Buxton. The town's history can be traced back to the time when it was a clearing in the Macclesfield Forest. The town centre and Buxton Old Road are lined with historic buildings and monuments; elsewhere are pleasant leafy suburbs.
About 12 miles south of Manchester yet close to beautiful Cheshire countryside Handforth is within 2 miles of the tourist attraction of Quarry Bank Mill.
Holmes Chapel is a large village with modern housing developments. It is within easy reach of the motorway network and popular with commuters. The village street has some 18th century buildings. St Luke's Church, beside a little square on the street, is a large 15th century oak frame church cased in brick during the 18th century.
Knutsford lies in the heart of Cheshire, yet within easy reach of motorways and Manchester. A popular market and shopping centre for the surrounding countryside, Knutsford has a pretty and interesting main shopping street, King Street. The town has one of the oldest May Day celebrations in England.
- Virtual Knutsford - An interesting and informative local website which includes an interactive town map and business section; information about what's on, tourism, and history.
There's also a notice board and community pages.
Historical links include a memorial to novelist Elizabeth Gaskell, whose book 'Cranford' chronicled Knutsford life during the mid-1800s and Tatton Park, one of England's finest and most complete country estates.
- Knutsford Information - details of the history and community of Knutsford.
- Knutsford Heritage
- Knutsford Market
- Knutsford Town council
- Knutsford Times
Macclesfield became the centre of Britain's silk industry during the Industrial Revolution. There are many attractive Georgian mills, houses, inns, churches and chapels. West Park Museum has impressive Egyptian exhibits and the Park itself is one of the oldest in the country.
The town is the western gateway to the Peak District, with many beautiful walks 'on its doorstep; Seven miles towards Buxton.
A salt town during the Roman and medieval periods. Historically it is notable for finds of Stone Age tools, weapons and Roman pottery.
The town is at the junction of the Trent and Mersey Canal with a branch of the Shropshire Union Canal - a good centre for fishing, boating and recreation amidst rich agricultural land. The historic buildings in the town are mostly of brick. The sandstone parish church is one of the three great 'salt churches' financed by Cheshire's medieval brine-boiling salt industry.
The place name means Renowned Works - during the early Middle Ages Nantwich was the prime centre of England's salt industry. It is now one of Cheshire's most picturesque market towns, rich in black and white buildings.
The 14th century parish church at the town centre, cruciform with octagonal tower and vaulted interior, is one of the three great salt churches, and probably the most beautiful parish church in Cheshire.
Pott Shrigley is a pretty village north of Macclesfield, which dates back to the fourteenth century. The town has enjoyed uninterrupted education since the fifteenth century, Pott Shrigley School being originally founded in 1492. The school is also allied to St Christopher's church, originally a 15th century chapel, which features a register of baptisms, marriages and burials which date back to 1630.
Pott Shrigley Parish Council was formed in 1354, it was originally titled Pott Shriggelegh - a term which emanates from the Old English of scric and leah. Pott is an old family name in the area and may have meant "pool" or "tarn" or even "mine shaft" whereas Leah means a woodland clearing. Scric refers to the grey backed shrike, a bird, which was found in the woodland clearings of the Peak District.
Situated between the towns of Stockport in Greater Manchester and Macclesfield in Cheshire. It is surrounded by farm land but is within easy commuting distance of Manchester and the motorway network.
- Poynton Web - A colourful village website, featuring information on community, shopping, leisure, businesses and more.
- Poynton Information - details of the history and community of Poynton.
Near Macclesfield this village is widely known as one of the most attractive villages in the northwest, with its 13th century church and ancient buildings including the half timbered Priest's House.
Rostherne is the pretty estate village of Tatton Park. The church, dating from the 14th, 16th and 18th centuries, commands a beautiful view over Rostherne Mere, the largest lake in Cheshire and now a bird sanctuary.
Sandbach lies in South Cheshire's farmland. It is a thriving market town with many historic buildings in Hightown, High Street and the ancient Market Square. Sandbach is widely known for the two Saxon crosses which stand in the square - carvings on the crosses depict scenes from the life of Christ and probably, Saints connected with the town.
Wilmslow is a mainly residential town set in the countryside close to Cheshire's boundary with Manchester. The town is popular as a home for commuters travelling to that city, as is nearby Handforth and is known throughout the Northwest for quality shopping. Nearby Quarry Bank Mill, an authentic preserved 18th century industrial community and Styal County Park offer secluded woodland surroundings. Lindow Common is popular with naturalists.