To get your claim started as soon as possible, you should apply even if you don’t have any supporting evidence yet. You can give us the evidence separately.
It helps speed up your claim if you give us your email address and phone number. We can then contact you quickly if we need more information. For secure email, we use a system called Egress.
Before you start the claim form
You can get an estimate of how much Housing Benefit or Council Tax support you might get by using the entitledto benefits calculator (link opens in a new window) or the Turn2us benefits calculator (link opens in a new window).
When you apply you need to complete the form in one go – you can’t save it and go back later.
It might take some time to fill in the form if your circumstances mean there is a lot of information you need to give us.
If you are unable to fill in the form online see our help with online benefits forms.
Information we need from you
Before you start the form, you will need to have the following details ready:
About you and your partner
- date of birth
- National Insurance number
- employment details such as income, average hours worked and details of all employers
- unearned income, such as child benefit, welfare benefits, tax credits, pensions or student loans or grants
- details and amounts of any savings, capital, investments or property/land held individually or jointly
- amount of rent you get for boarders or sub tenants
- amounts and dates of payments into pensions
- if you are a tenant, details of tenancy including rent, start date, and landlord or agent
- moving in date
- dates of any current maternity, paternity or sick leave
- date of arrival in the UK, if less than 5 years ago
- date of birth
- child benefit amounts
- child care costs
- names of the people you share the property with
About joint tenants
About other people
It’s important to give us details of other people’s income, because otherwise we will treat them as working full time on a high wage and you might lose benefit.
- date of birth
- earned income (before deductions) and hours they work
- unearned income, such as welfare benefits, tax credits, student loans/grants
When you fill in the form, it will tell you what supporting evidence or information we will need from you. To see what types of document we accept as evidence and upload documents, see supporting evidence.
If you can’t upload your documents, you can bring them to one of our customer service centres or to a library, or post them to Benefits Section, Cheshire East Council, PO Box 622, Crewe, CW1 9JH
Claiming Council Tax Support only - for people who already get other benefits
You don’t need to make a new benefit claim if you want to claim Council Tax Support and either of the following apply:
- you already get Housing Benefit
- we have contacted you because the DWP have passed us your details from another benefit claim so we can check if you can get Council Tax Support
In either of these situations, all you need to do is fill in our declaration to claim Council Tax Support form to say you are happy for us to use the details we already have from your other benefit claim. You will need your national insurance number. The form takes about 5 minutes. We will contact you if we need any extra information.
If someone is helping you with your claim
If someone is helping with your claim and you want us to share information with them, you need to let us know you are happy for us to do so. See authority to discuss.
Where people are unable to manage their own financial affairs, an appointee can handle their benefits claims for them.
Changes of circumstance
You must tell us straightaway about any changes that might affect your claim.