Bulky household waste collection
Arranging a collection
You can take items which are too big or bulky for your bin to a household waste and recycling centre. You will need a household waste permit before you can use the centre, if you arrive at site with a van, pickup, commercial type 4x4 or a trailer over 1.5 metres (internal length).
Alternatively we can collect items like furniture for a fee. You can make unlimited requests for collections through the year. View our list of items we wont collect.
Arrange for large or bulky items to be collected
Our charity partner, St. Paul's Centre, will contact you to arrange the collection date. The items will be collected within 10 working days.
Cost of collections
You pay in advance for a bulky household waste collection as part of the online form. The cost is non-refundable, even if you later reduce the number of items to be collected. The cost of the collection will depend on the number of items. For example, a table and 4 chairs counts as 5 items and cost £80 to be collected, a bed base and mattress will count as 2 separate items and cost £40 to be collected.
Bulky waste collection costs
|Number of Items||Cost|
|1 - 3
|4 - 6
Qualifying benefit reductions
There could be a reduction in the cost if you get one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit – not single resident
- Guaranteed Pension Credits
- Universal Credit
We may check you get the benefit if you request a reduction.
Where to leave your bulky items for collection
Our charity partner will make the collection and try to find new homes for any items which can be reused.
Reusable items may include:
- reusable soft furnishings (must have a Fire Label)
- electrical items that are working or can be easily repaired
- good quality household furniture
Keep reusable items inside to protect them from weather conditions that may damage them.
Non-reusable items may include:
- soft furnishings (without a fire label)
- electrical items damaged beyond repair
- broken/worn out or heavily soiled furniture
You can leave non-reusable items outside of your property on the day of collection. Keep any absorbent materials or items such as carpets, mattresses, bed bases and settees dry as they may be too heavy to be taken if they are wet.
On the form you can ask us to collect the items from within your property if you are unable to leave items outside your property.
Bulky waste we don’t collect
We are unable to collect the following items:
- items used for commercial purposes
- fridges or freezers or (American style) fridge/freezers containing food
- garden waste
- rolls of carpet that will not fold to less than ten feet long
- mattresses that have been soiled
- gas canisters
- garage doors
- car parts
- trade waste
- paint, oil, solvents or similar liquids
- any waste presented in a black sack
- rubble, building and DIY waste including bathroom suites and furniture, fixtures and fittings
- hazardous waste such as asbestos or corrosive, flammable, explosive or toxic substances
- any large or heavy items that cannot be carried by 2 people
You can see where or how to dispose of items on our what waste goes where webpage.
We can help if you are unable to use the online form - phone 0300 123 5011