Garden waste collection
We collect garden waste from domestic properties.
Check your bin collection day
What goes in your garden bin
You can put the following garden waste and food waste materials in your garden bin:
- grass cuttings, lawn edgings and weeds
- twigs and small branches
- hedge clippings
- cut flowers
- windfalls from fruit trees
- meat and fish, raw or cooked, including bones
- fruit, salad, vegetable peelings
- tea bags, tea, coffee grounds
- egg shells, stale bread and crusts
- left over food from your plates
- cat and dog food
- hay, straw and wood shavings
You must not put non-garden waste in your garden bin, for example:
- don't put liquid cooking fat, oil, wax or waxed packaging (milk or juice cartons) foil
- don't put coffee filters
- don't put soil, stone, rubble or large amounts of turf
- don't put any type of animal waste
- don't put paper, plastic, glass, metals, leather, plant pots/containers, porcelain, plaster, disposable nappies, ash, vacuum cleaner contents, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, batteries, dyestuffs, textiles, feathers household or garden chemicals.
This is not an exhaustive list. You can see where to dispose of waste on our what waste goes where page.
If we find any non-garden or non-food waste items in a garden bin we will not empty the bin. It will be deemed contaminated. You must remove all non-garden waste materials before the next scheduled collection.
Creating your own compost at home is an inexpensive and natural process. You can compost your kitchen and garden waste into nutrient rich food for your garden.
Composting at home - information from recyclenow.com
Composting - information from the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS)
You can make your own compost heap or buy compost bins and accessories from a number of places including a company called Get Composting. Compost produced from the garden bin collections is not available to buy. We use it for local horticulture.
We may be unable to collect your waste on the scheduled collection during extreme weather conditions.
Christmas Tree recycling and collection (PDF, 217KB)
Our waste and recycling service is provided by Ansa - a company owned by Cheshire East Council
Contact Waste and Recycling
Waste and Recycling - Cheshire East Council Garden waste enquiry form
Open or close Cecilia chat bot
Call our Waste and Recycling Customer Service Team on 0300 123 5011 during office hours, 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, if you're unable to use our form.
Page last reviewed: 02 October 2023
Thank you for your feedback.