Garden waste collection
We collect garden waste from domestic properties.
What goes in your garden bin
You can put the following garden waste and food waste materials in your garden bin:
- grass cuttings, lawn edgings and weeds
- twigs and small branches
- hedge clippings
- cut flowers
- windfalls from fruit trees
- meat and fish, raw or cooked, including bones
- fruit, salad, vegetable peelings
- tea bags, tea, coffee grounds
- egg shells, stale bread and crusts
- left over food from your plates
- cat and dog food
- hay, straw and wood shavings
You must not put non-garden waste in your garden bin, for example:
- don't put liquid cooking fat, oil, wax or waxed packaging (milk or juice cartons) foil
- don't put coffee filters
- don't put soil, stone, rubble or large amounts of turf
- don't put any type of animal waste
- don't put paper, plastic, glass, metals, leather, plant pots/containers, porcelain, plaster, disposable nappies, ash, vacuum cleaner contents, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, batteries, dyestuffs, textiles, feathers household or garden chemicals.
This is not an exhaustive list. You can see where to dispose of waste on our what waste goes where page.
If we find any non-garden or non-food waste items in a garden bin we will not empty the bin. It will be deemed contaminated. You must remove all non-garden waste materials before the next scheduled collection.
Composting at home is an inexpensive and natural process. You can compost your kitchen and garden waste into nutrient rich food for your garden. You can buy compost bins and accessories by visiting Get Composting.
We may be unable to collect your waste on the scheduled collection during extreme weather conditions.
Additional garden waste bins
For an annual payment of £53 we will empty an additional garden waste bin on the same day as your first garden bin. Your bins should be put out for collection by 7am on your bin collection day.
Sorry, due to Covid-19 restrictions we are unable to take new requests for additional garden bins.
- No concession is given for joining part way through the scheme
- No refund is given if you withdraw from the scheme
- We must receive payment before we deliver an additional garden bin.
- The garden bin remains the property of Cheshire East Council.
- You should identify your bin and maintain it in good condition.
- The service is not transferable from one resident to another.
- We offer the service to domestic premises only. Commercial premises are excluded from this scheme.
- We reserve the right to withdraw the service at any time.
- The Council reserves the right to reclaim the additional garden bin from the property if an annual payment is not made in a timely manner or the service is cancelled by the customer. The customer will leave the bin accessible on the property so the Council can reclaim the bin at their convenience.
Our waste and recycling service is provided by Ansa - a company owned by Cheshire East Council