How to Marry in Cheshire East 

Covid-19 guidance for booking your ceremony

We are currently working with our couples who are due to marry/form a civil partnership in March and April 2021 but are also very aware that all our couples need to plan their day.  Please see the table below which shows the timeframes we are working to for couples who need to give notice in Cheshire East.  Notice of marriage/civil partnership has to be given in the registration service where you live, so if you live outside Cheshire East, please contact your local registration service to find out when they are open for notice appointments.

You cannot get married or form a civil partnership without giving notice within the legal time limits.  The easiest way to decide on the latest date you can give notice is to take one month from your ceremony date.  For example, if you want to marry on 4 May 2021, you need to have given notice by 4 April 2021.  It is therefore very important to get your notice appointment booked.

Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership
Date of marriage/civil partnershipWhen to give 'notice of intent'
May 2021 From 1 March 2021
June 2021 From 1 April 2021
July 2021 From 1 May 2021
August 2021 From 1 June 2021
September 2021 From 1 July 2021

Our diaries are opened 2 weeks in advance so please contact our team on 0300 123 5019 in good time to get your appointment booked.

We will continue to keep in touch with our couples booked to have their ceremony with us in Cheshire East, but if you need our team, please contact us at  If you have made any changes to the date or time of your ceremony with your venue, please let us know so that we can make sure our diary matches.

The government's latest guidance on marriages and civil partnerships is available on the site.  If you have any specific queries about your ceremony, please contact the Ceremonies Team at

In order to comply with the advice given by the government, NHS and PHE, we are offering the following advice to those who have a ceremony booked with us, who wish to book a ceremony with us or who wish to pay their ceremony fees:

For the latest information on marriage ceremonies during Covid-19 please see Guidance for small marriage ceremonies and civil partnerships on the website.

Cheshire East features idyllic rural landscapes and picturesque historic towns and, with over 60 Approved Premises (venues) and our ceremony rooms in Crewe and Macclesfield, you are sure to find a setting that is perfect for you.

Visit our dedicated ceremony website Your Ceremony Your Choice for information on how to plan your ceremony.

Whether you are planning a small, intimate ceremony or a grand occasion, our professional and dedicated Registrars can help create a ceremony of the highest standard that will leave you with memories to treasure for a lifetime.

Where can I get married?

The marriage venue that you choose will depend on what type of ceremony you wish to have. There are three types of ceremony venues offered within England and Wales:

  • A religious ceremony in a church or other religious building
  • A civil ceremony in a Register Office
  • A civil ceremony in Approved Premises - Details of venues licensed for civil marriage are available on our website Your Ceremony Your Choice 

Same sex marriage

Same sex marriages can now take place in Cheshire East

A Civil Ceremony in an Approved Premise

There is a variety of over 60 Approved Premises within Cheshire East which are licensed to hold civil marriages including: hotels, stately homes, restaurants and even a castle. These are listed on our website Your Ceremony Your Choice

Although the legal marriage notices are only valid for twelve months, you can book Registrars up to three years in advance, by telephoning the Register Office for the registration area in which the Approved Premise is located. An administration fee is payable, which is deducted from the fee charged for the Registrars to attend on the day of the marriage.

Marriages at Approved Premises are performed seven days per week between 10.00am and 6.00pm.

Ceremonies are available on all Bank Holidays.

A Civil Ceremony in a Register Office

Cheshire East has two attractive statutory ceremony rooms, one in each of our Register Offices situated in Crewe and Macclesfield.  There are also two larger ceremony rooms at the Municipal Buildings and Macclesfield Town Hall that can be booked for ceremonies.

A basic legal ceremony is available in our statutory ceremony room. You will exchange legal declarations to each other and have the opportunity to exchange rings if you wish.

For a statutory ceremony you should arrive 15 minutes before the ceremony is due to start. The registrar will speak with you both together before the ceremony to make sure all the details for the register are correct. You will then enter the room together.  The maximum number of people allowed for the statutory ceremony room ceremony is 4, ie the couple and two guests who will act as witnesses.

You can make a booking to have a Register Office ceremony up to one year in advance.

As soon as you have decided on a ceremony date, we suggest you contact our Ceremonies Team, to check availability and make a provisional booking.  The full fee for the ceremony will be payable at the time of booking. This is a statutory fee and covers the attendance of two Registrars and the use of the ceremony room.

The Ceremony Team will advise you on you on how to give your legal notice of marriage which must be completed before a ceremony can take place.

Religious Ceremonies

A religious ceremony may take place at a church or chapel of the Church of England or Church of Wales, or in any other place of worship formally registered for marriages by the Registrar General.

Church of England or Wales

If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church of Wales, please speak to the Vicar of that Church first. If the Vicar can marry you, he or she will make arrangements for the Banns to be called or for a common licence to be issued. If Banns are not called, you will both have to give notice of marriage in the area in which you live. Please see ‘Booking Your Marriage’ for further details.

A marriage within the Church of England or Wales does not generally involve the Register Office. For enquiries regarding fees, please contact the Vicar or Incumbent of the church.

If one of the parties to the marriage is a non-EEA national, there will be changes to the processes involved.  Further details are available on the website.

Other churches or religious buildings

If you are planning a wedding in any other church or religious building, first seek permission from the Minister or governing body before you make other arrangements. You will need to give a notice of marriage to the Superintendent Registrar for the area in which you reside. Usually there is a person appointed at the church or building who can register your marriage. If not, a Registrar from the area in which the venue is located will have to attend. If a registrar is required to attend and register the marriage, before making any firm commitments, please contact the Registration Service to ensure that they can provide this service. For ceremonies within Cheshire East Registration authority, please telephone 01270 375140.

What should I do if I marry overseas?

If you are thinking about getting married abroad, please contact the appropriate embassy or consulate so that they can advise you of the formalities and documentation required by that country.  For more information and advice, you can contact the ‘General Register Office’.

How can I book my marriage?

The first step in booking your marriage is to decide where you would like the marriage to take place and make a provisional booking. If you choose one of our Approved Premises, please check that Registrars are available by contacting our Ceremonies Team on 01270 375140 . They will advise you about giving your notice of marriage.

Notice of marriage

The next step is to arrange to complete the legal notices of marriage in the registration authority where you reside. For details about residential qualifications, please contact the Ceremonies Team.

If you live in Cheshire East, and have already booked your ceremony date and the registrar's attendance, you can telephone 0300 123 5019 to make an notice appointment. at one of our offices  A booking fee of £35.00 per person will be taken when the appointment is booked.  This fee covers the cost of the statutory notice fee and is non refundable.

Both parties have to give notice in person.

If you live outside Cheshire East,  please contact your local Register Office. If you live in different local authority areas, notices will have to be given in each area.

1.  When you call to make your appointment to give notice, ask your Registrar which documents you will need to produce, such as:

  • Evidence of identity, age and nationality, ideally a passport. 
  • Change of name documents.
  • Proof of residence in the form of a utility bill or other official document which shows your home address. A utility bill should be dated no more than 3 months before the date of the notice of marriage; a bank or building society statement should be dated no more than 1 month before the date of the notice of marriage.
  • If appropriate, evidence of how any previous marriage ended, such as a divorce decree absolute or a death certificate.
  • If either of you have a foreign divorce document, there will be a further fee payable for this to be considered by the Superintendent Registrar or, in some cases, by General Register Office.  It is important that you let us know about any foreign divorces before making an appointment.  Please telephone 0300 123 5019 for further information.
  • Further documents may be required as evidence, eg a previous marriage certificate to link the name on a woman’s birth certificate with the name an her decree absolute
  • If you are under 18 years, parental consent will be required.
  • If either of you is subject to immigration control you will need to provide further documents.

2.  The booking fee paid when the appointment is booked covers the statutory notice fee.  This fee is non refundable.

3.  Marriage cannot take place until after 28 clear days have elapsed from the day of giving notice. During the 28 day waiting period, the notices will be displayed in your local Registration Authority.

4. Once the 28 day waiting period has elapsed, the marriage can only take place at the venue specified on the notices. The notices are valid for 12 months. If you change the venue, or the notices expire, fresh notices will have to be given.

Please contact the Ceremonies Team on 01270 375140 if you have any queries about the documents required.

Are there any restrictions for non-UK citizens?

There are special procedures when either partner is a non-EEA (European Economic Area) national who is subject to immigration control. If this applies to you, please contact your local Register Office for further advice.  For further details, see the website .

Can I personalise my ceremony?

Our Ceremonies Team will confirm your booking.  You will receive our marriage ceremony profile which outlines ideas and suggestions for your ceremony.

If you wish to personalise your ceremony with your own readings and music or if you would like to discuss any aspect of your ceremony, please do not hesitate to contact your Ceremonies Officer who will be happy to discuss your requirements.

Please note, legally we are not allowed to include wording, readings or music which may have religious connotations within our civil marriage ceremonies.

Where can I obtain further information?

Once you have given notice of marriage, remember to visit our website Your Ceremony Your Choice, which contains information to help you plan your day, including advice for the ceremony and suggested readings.

The Cheshire East Registrars team have created a brochure to help you plan your special day, the brochure can be found on the your ceremony planning page

What costs are involved?

All the fees for marriage are shown on our fees page.

Fees for marriages conducted at non-conformist or Roman Catholic churches, please contact the appropriate Minister or Priest.

Important Note: If you have been living on your own and claiming Single Person Discount on Council Tax, and are now going to be living with your spouse, then please ensure you notify the relevant authority.

contact us

0300 123 5019

Can you help?

Let us know what you think of this website.

Website survey

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?