Policy HOU 6: Travelling Showperson site provision
- In line with LPS Policy SC 7 ‘Gypsies and Travellers and Travelling Showpeople’, Travelling Showperson sites will be allocated or approved to meet the needs set out in the most recent Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA). The GTAA (2018) identifies a need in the borough for five additional plots for Travelling Showpeople over the remaining plan period (2017 to 2030).
- The following sites, as shown on the adopted policies map, are allocated for Travelling Showperson sites to ensure a deliverable supply of plots:
- Site TS 1 'Lorry park, off Mobberley Road, Knutsford' (3 plots);
- Site TS 2 'Land at Fir Farm, Brereton' (10 plots); and
- Site TS 3 'Land at former brickworks, A50 Newcastle Road' (2 additional plots).
8.36 In light of government changes to Planning Policy for Traveller sites (2015), the council has updated its evidence base, on a sub-regional basis, on the need for additional Gypsy and Traveller accommodation. The policy reflects and seeks to address the updated assessment of accommodation needs for Travelling Showpeople. The GTAA (2018) identified a requirement for 5 plots up to 2030.
8.37 The allocation at Site TS 2 'Land at Fir Farm, Brereton' responds to a site specific requirement identified following the completion of the 2018 GTAA. The site will be recorded in future iterations of the GTAA. The policy also supports the appropriate intensification or reconfiguration of the existing Showman’s Yard on the A50 (Site TS 3 'Land at former brickworks, A50 Newcastle Road') site for up to two additional plots.
8.38 As set out in of the LPS, Travelling Showperson sites in the Green Belt are considered to be inappropriate development.
8.39 Occupation of any development for consented Travelling Showperson sites will be restricted, via condition, to persons complying with the national definition of Travelling Showpeople, as appropriate.
8.40 In line with LPS Policy SC 7 ‘Gypsies and Travellers and Travelling Showpeople’, there is a presumption against the loss of existing permanent consented Travelling Showperson sites where this would exacerbate or result in an identified shortfall unless suitable replacement provision is found.
8.41 The council will monitor the provision of additional plots for Travelling Showpeople delivered during the plan period. The effectiveness of the policy will be kept under review either as part of periodic reviews/updates of the local plan or if there are any significant changes in the requirements for plot provision, identified through monitoring, changes in national planning policy or as evidenced, for example, through a review of the GTAA.
Previous page: Policy HOU 5 'Gypsy and Traveller site provision' | Cheshire East Local Plan policy index | Next page: Policy HOU 7 'Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showperson site principles'