Policy SC 7: Gypsies and Travellers and Travelling Showpeople
- Sites will be allocated or approved to meet the needs set out in the most recent Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment (GTAA). Current evidence suggests there is a need within the borough for:
- A transit site of between 5 and 10 pitches for Gypsy and Travellers;
- 69 additional permanent residential pitches for Gypsy and Travellers; and
- 13 additional plots for Travelling Showpeople in the period 2013 to 2028.
- To ensure that proposals for Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showperson sites are sustainable and acceptable in terms of location and design, the following considerations will be taken into account:
- Proximity of the site to local services and facilities;
- Access to public transport;
- Safe pedestrian, cycle and vehicular access onto the site;
- Appropriate pitch sizes;
- Adequate provision for parking, turning and servicing;
- Adequate provision for storage and maintenance, particularly where needed for Travelling Showpeople;
- Mix of accommodation types and tenures;
- Impact on the character and appearance of the surrounding area;
- Impact on the Green Belt Footnote 59;
- Impact on the historic environment.
- There will be a presumption against the loss of existing permanent consented Gypsy, Traveller or Travelling Showpersons sites where this would exacerbate or result in an identified shortfall unless suitable replacement provision of equal or enhanced value are provided.
12.63 The Department of Communities and Local Government's Policy for Travellers states that 'Local planning authorities should set pitch targets for Gypsies and Travellers and plot targets for Travelling Showpeople which address the likely permanent and transit site accommodation needs of Travellers in their area, working collaboratively with neighbouring local planning authorities'. It goes on to suggest that 'local planning authorities should ensure that Traveller sites are sustainable economically, socially and environmentally'.
12.64 The latest count of Gypsy and Traveller caravans (January 2013) showed that there were 17 caravans on Local Authority or socially rented sites, 88 caravans on private sites (seven of which only have temporary consents) and 14 caravans on unauthorised encampments.
12.65 A Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment has been prepared on behalf of Cheshire East, Cheshire West, Halton Borough Council and Warrington Borough Council in January 2014. The following table breaks down the overall provision identified by the GTAA over 5 year periods up to 2028
Table 12.1 Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showperson provision in Cheshire East in 5 Year Periods
|2013 to 2018
|Gypsy and Traveller Residential Pitches Footnote 60
|Travelling Showperson Plots Footnote 61
12.66 Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessments are prepared to reflect a 15 year time frame. Future reviews of this evidence will be used to determine need for additional provision beyond 2028.
12.67 Sites for Gypsies and Travellers and Travelling Showpeople will be allocated in the Site Allocations and Development Policies Development Plan Document.
- Cheshire Partnership Area Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation and Related Services Assessment
- Count of Gypsy and Traveller Caravans (January 2013).
(Footnote 59) Gypsy and Traveller and Travelling Showpeople sites in the Green Belt are inappropriate development, Paragraph 14, Planning Policy for Traveller Sites, CLG, March 2012
(Footnote 60) the GTAA has assumed that all unauthorised sites, waiting list needs and sites with temporary planning permissions are addressed in the first 5 years. Any supply from undeveloped sites is assumed to be developed in the first 5 years. Household formation is apportioned over time.
(Footnote 61) The GTAA has assumed that all unauthorised yards, concealed households and in-migration are addressed in the first 5 years. Household formation is apportioned over time.
Previous page: Policy SC 6 'Rural Exceptions Housing for Local Needs' | Cheshire East Local Plan policy index | Next page: Policy SE 1 'Design'