Completion certificates - building regulations 

A completion certificate is the evidence that a building or home improvement project has building regulations approval. You may be asked for it when you sell or remortgage a property.

Asking for a completion certificate for an application 

If you have made an application for building regulations approval, you will get a completion certificate when we are satisfied that the completed work meets the regulations.

By law, the property owner must tell us within 5 days of a project being completed so we can make the completion inspection and issue the certificate. If you are using a member of the Competent Person Scheme, they should tell us on your behalf.  

If your project was completed more than 5 days ago and you have not booked a final inspection, get in touch as soon as you can.

If it has been more than 12 months since the last inspection, we will consider if it is still possible to issue the certificate. A fee of £115 may apply.

Where more than 5 years has passed since the last inspection, we are unlikely to be able to provide a certificate. 

Lost completion certificates

Where we handled the building regulations approval for a project, we can issue further copies of completion certificates for a small charge. Where the work was carried out by a private approved inspector, contact the firm concerned.

No completion certificate

If there is no completion certificate because work was done but building regulations approval was not applied for, you may be able to apply for a regularisation certificate instead.

Contact us

01270 375256

Building Control
Municipal Buildings
Earle Street



Page last reviewed: 09 May 2022