Access to social care records

Current records

If a social worker or care worker is currently involved in your care, you can ask to see your records. If you are in a residential home or attend a day centre you can ask the manager.

Older records

Contact our Data Protection Officer explaining what records you would like access to or complete the online Subject Access Request form.

Alternatively, print and complete the Subject Access Request (SAR) form (MS Word, 354KB)

Give as much information as possible to help us to locate your records.

You will need to provide evidence of:

Your identity

  • a copy of your passport
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence

Your address

  • driving licence
  • council tax bill
  • a recent utility bill
  • recent bank statement

Cheshire Care Record

Local health and social care services are working together to improve how your information is shared to support the decisions they make about your care.

Working across doctors surgeries, hospitals, community teams, mental health professionals, cancer care and social care the Cheshire Care Record provides a single summary of your health and social care record.

If you are being seen by more than one health or care service, the professionals treating you will now be able to share summary information if you have provided consent. This information can include recent appointments, test results, medicines, and a summary of any social care plan you are receiving.

See the Privacy Notice for Adult Services within Cheshire East Council.

Why we keep records

We record information about you so we can provide services to you. This information may be kept on paper or on a computer.

Your records are confidential and can only be seen by the people who are providing you with a service. We do not give them to anyone else unless we have your permission or the law allows us to.

Records are generally kept for a few years after you stop receiving a service from us.

Medical records

Your medical records will contain a detailed history about your physical and mental health. This history will have been compiled throughout your life by a range of healthcare professionals as part of your care.

How you can access your medical records

There are no legal restrictions preventing anyone from accessing their medical records. Under the principles of the General Data Protection Regulations, we all have the right to request access to them and we do not have to provide any reasons why.

If you would like to view your medical records you can apply by:

  • requesting access during a consultation
  • phoning your GP surgery or hospital to arrange a convenient time to view them
  • applying in writing to your GP, dentist, optician or health records manager

The process of applying for your records is called making a subject access request.

Choices for care

Choices for Care

If you would like information and advice without having to go through a full assessment of your social care needs, please visit our Choices for Care page.

Choices for Care, provides you with online support to help you to identify the support you need. This includes relevant services from the Live Well directory.

You can also choose to submit the information you provide to the Council’s Adult Social Care service, who will then contact you to consider your situation further.

Page last reviewed: 29 June 2021

Find a service