Care and Repair - improving homes, improving lives

Help to adapt or repair your home

Are you over state pension age? Or does someone in your household have a disability? Do you need advice about home repairs or adapting your home to suit your needs?

Care and Repair is a service for older, disabled and vulnerable people, guiding them through the often complex or daunting process of carrying out repairs and adaptations in their own home. We offer help with many types of work around the home, from replacing a window to building an extension.

Whether you can afford to pay for the work yourself, you need help with the cost of repairs and adaptations, or you just want some advice, we may be able to help. 

Ways in which we can help:

The following services are provided free of charge:

  • offering technical advice and information about repairs and adaptations
  • helping you to find ways to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, and checking your entitlement to benefits
  • assisting you with filling in forms for funding applications
  • providing you with information about other service to help you live independently in your own home

There is a charge for the following services:

  • drawing up plans and specifications so contractors know exactly what is required
  • completing planning, building control and highways applications as part of your building work 
  • helping you to employ reputable contractors
  • inspecting completed work

We aim to keep the charges as low as possible to make the service affordable. All advice and information is free of charge. If you would like us to draw up plans and specifications, obtain quotes or inspect the work we do charge a small fee based on the value of work. Please contact us for more information about our fees.

If you can’t afford to pay for the home repairs and adaptations, we may be able to help you to find other ways to pay for the work. This may include a loan or grant from the Council

To discuss how we can help you, and for a better idea of how much it might cost, please contact us.

Help with urgent heating repairs

If you are a homeowner on a low income or are vulnerable to cold, we have access to some fast-track funds to help to put the problem right quickly, and can help you to look for a longer term solution. Complete the Help with Heating enquiry form.

Finding a contractor

If you are simply looking for details of a local, reliable and reputable vetted contractor to carry out repairs, visit the Buy with Confidence website.

We recommend that you always get at least two quotes in writing, and avoid contractors who say they will give you a discount for cash. Always make sure you get a receipt for any payments, and don't pay for services up-front.

The Orbitas Handyperson Service is another source of help. The service delivers minor adaptations such as grab rails, hand rails and key safes on behalf of the Council; they can also carry out other small repairs at affordable rates.

If you or a member of your household is ex-Service or still serving in the Armed Forces, you can use the Royal British Legion Handy Vans service. They provide help with home repairs and small maintenance tasks to keep people safe in their own homes, and have a service that covers the Cheshire East area. Email or call 0800 032 0306 for more information.

Contact us

0300 123 5017 (select option 4)

Page last reviewed: 15 September 2021