Heavy goods vehicles and weight restrictions

To report heavy goods vehicles using a road which has a weight restriction in place, you should contact the police. Phone 101 for a non-emergency call. We as the council have no powers to prosecute in this situation.

Where the road has an 'except for access' weight restriction, vehicles heavier than allowed by the restriction can use the road if they need access to it. Otherwise, they should not be there.

It is difficult for the police to enforce weight restrictions. This is because they have to follow the vehicle along the road and then take it to a weighbridge.