Street, pavement cafes and furniture
To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement you will need a licence.
It is recommended that you contact us for advice before you submit your application.
Application evaluation process
- designated area - you will only be allowed to provide refreshments within a designated area serviced from your existing premises. If the space is insufficient or causes an obstruction your application may be refused
- the designated area will need to be kept clean at all times and you could be charged for the cost of making good any damage to the highway
- you will be required to provide evidence of insurance
- hours of operation for the facility will be specified and enforced
- public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations
- all representations received must be considered
- any other relevant authorities must be consulted
Before applying for a licence you should check whether planning permission or listed building consent is required for use of the land or building as a cafe.