Council services during the COVID-19 outbreak

Maintaining essential services to support your health and wellbeing

Street, pavement cafes and furniture

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement you will need a licence.


It is recommended that you contact us for advice before you submit your application.

Application evaluation process

  • designated area - you will only be allowed to provide refreshments within a designated area serviced from your existing premises. If the space is insufficient or causes an obstruction your application may be refused
  • the designated area will need to be kept clean at all times and you could be charged for the cost of making good any damage to the highway
  • you will be required to provide evidence of insurance
  • hours of operation for the facility will be specified and enforced
  • public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations
  • all representations received must be considered
  • any other relevant authorities must be consulted

Eligibility criteria

Before applying for a licence you should check whether planning permission or listed building consent is required for use of the land or building as a cafe.


Contact us

Report a problem online

If you consider a highways issue to be dangerous, or an emergency, please call us on:

0300 123 5020
(8:30am – 5:00pm)

0300 123 5025
(after 5pm and before 8:30am, including weekends)

Floor 6
Delamere House

Delamere Street Crewe

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?