Abnormal load notifications

You must notify us and other relevant authorities (for example, the police and Network Rail) if you want to move an abnormal load through Cheshire East. 

How to notify us of an abnormal load

To tell us of an abnormal load, email the GOV.UK abnormal loads form directly to our abnormal loads team (rather than to the address given on the form). You should use the form for both standard and short notice notifications.

Notice periods and requirements

We need either 2 or 5 working days' for most abnormal loads, depending on the type of load. You may need to give much longer notice to the Highways Agency. For some types of abnormal load we also need proof of indemnity against any damage the vehicle might cause to any road, bridge or other structure

You can see full details of abnormal load notice periods and indemnity and other requirements at GOV.UK.

Annual indemnities

You can provide a blanket indemnity to cover all your abnormal load movements in a year.

Print the abnormal loads indemnity form (PDF, 22KB), complete it, and email it to us. Write 'Cheshire East Council' in the space after 'agree to indemnify you'.

Abnormal load route approval fees

There is no cost for standard abnormal load route approval. Where we need to remove street furniture or make a specific assessment of a particular bridge or structure to check capacity, we will charge the full costs of doing so. 

Abnormal load guidance

You can find further advice on moving abnormal loads and your responsibilities when doing so at GOV.UK.

Abnormal load legislation

The specific legislation covering the movement of abnormal loads is:

Page last reviewed: 04 April 2022