Data Protection

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives individuals a right to find out what information is held about them. It governs how we collect, use and process personal information. The Act gives you the right to ensure our records are correct and up to date and to have them corrected if necessary.

What rights do I have under the Data Protection Act?

  • To be told what information we hold about you, both in paper and electronically.
  • To be told what we're using the information for.
  • For processing to be stopped if you believe the processing will cause you damage or distress.
  • Not have your information used for direct marketing.

Please be aware of our obligations under the National Fraud Initiative (NFI).

How can I find out what information is held about me?

You must make your request in writing, you can send us a letter, an e-mail or apply online. Someone else can make a request on your behalf only if we have your permission in writing.

To help us find the information we hold we will need:

  • Your full name and date of birth
  • Your address and previous addresses, if they are relevant
  • Details of any services within Cheshire East Council with whom you have had dealings. Access to social care records may follow a different process.
  • If you can provide us with details of any reference numbers or names of staff that you have had contact with this will help us find all the information we have
  • A fee of £10 is normally charged for each request. 

    You will be advised if a fee is payable, and how to pay, on receipt of your request.

Apply by completing the online Subject Access Request form.

Alternatively, please print and complete the Subject Access Request (SAR) -  request form (MS Word, 332KB)

Please email your request to: or post to

The Data Protection Officer
1st Floor Westfields
C/O Municipal Buildings
Earle Street

See our page about the National Fraud Initiative (NFI).

We will not release any information until we have confirmed your identity.

Documents to prove identity and address

You must provide two forms of identification to confirm the identity of the data subject, one which confirms their identity and one which confirms their current address. Please provide one document from each list below. Photocopies are acceptable.

If you are a representative applying on behalf of the data subject, you must provide two forms of identification which confirm your identity and current address.

Acceptable proof of identity:

  • Current passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Unexpired photo card driving licence (full or provisional)

Acceptable proof current address:

  • Utility bill dated within the last three months
  • Council Tax bill for current year
  • Unexpired old style paper driving licence
  • Bank statement dated within the last three months
  • Benefits agency/state pension correspondence (on letterhead) dated within the last three months

Contact us

Email Data Protection

0300 123 5500

The Data Protection Officer
1st Floor Westfields
C/O Municipal Buildings
Earle Street

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?