Right to restrict processing

You have the right to limit what we can do with your personal information in specific circumstances.  For example:

  • if you are in dispute with us over its accuracy, you can ask us to stop using it while the accuracy is being checked.  The restriction will remain in place until the correction is complete and your record will be marked accordingly to ensure the incorrect information is not used. This may mean making your records unavailable or restricting access until the dispute is settled.
  • you can ask us to restrict our use of your personal information if our processing is unlawful but you don’t want it deleted.  This might be because we are using your personal information without your consent or we don’t have another legal basis such as for one of our official functions.
  • if we no longer need your personal information for the reason it was held and it is due for destruction, you can ask us to keep the records anyway if you need them for a legal claim.

Where possible we will pass your request on to anyone else we have shared your information with so they can restrict their processing of your information.

We will act on your request as soon as possible and within one month.  If it is complex, we might need to extend the timescale by a further two months, but we will tell you within a month if that is the case.

You can email your request to: dp@cheshireeast.gov.uk  phone 01270 686991 or post to:

The Data Protection Officer
1st Floor Westfields
c/o Municipal Buildings
Earle Street, Crewe

Before we restrict processing of your personal information, we may need to check your identity to make sure we are restricting the right person’s information. See right of access for details of the identity documents you may be asked to provide. 

Page last reviewed: 22 October 2021