Guidance on applying for licences

The information below describes the different types of licence. You may require more than one. You can also view information on activities that require a licence .

Personal licence

Is required for anyone who wants to see or supply alcohol for consumption on or off their premises. The holder of this licence may only sell alcohol where a premises licence or temporary event notice is effective.

Premises licence

A premises licence is required for any specific place which offers entertainment, late night refreshment and/or alcohol. If the premises licence permits the sale of alcohol there must be a Designated Premises Supervisor.  This person must hold a personal licence.

Club premises certificate

If your establishment restricts access by the public and alcohol is supplied other than for profit, you may qualify for a Club Premises Certificate.

Late night refreshment

Is required for business premises or vehicles selling hot food and hot drinks after 11pm and before 5am. Late Night Refreshment is covered by the Premises Licence. Choose the Premises Licence link above.

Temporary event notices

Are required to regulate the above activities for a one-off or occasional function. Generally this applies to occasional events of less than 168 hours duration and involving a maximum of 499 persons.

Contact us

Email Licensing

0300 123 5015

Postal address

Licensing Team
Cheshire East Council
Regulatory Services and Health C/O
Delamere House, Delamere Street

Page last reviewed: 21 February 2024