Environmental Searches and Property Sales

Mortgage lenders may ask for an environmental search to help them decide if the property is suitable security to lend money on.

To request an environmental search you will need:

  • a plan clearly showing the boundary of the property or land;
  • a list of the specific information that you require; and
  • your contact details.

We require payment before a search is made. You can pay by cheque or make a card payment over the telephone. Please see our fees and charges page for current rates. The search will be conducted within 20 working days from receipt of payment.

The Contaminated Land Team holds a variety of information on, but not limited to, the following:

  • Contaminated Land Team records of contamination issues at the site and at land adjacent to the site;
  • Available records of unlicensed, pre-licensing or closed landfill sites;
  • Sites determined to be statutory Contaminated Land under Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 in Cheshire East;
  • Site investigation information, where available and appropriate;
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990, Statutory Nuisance Notices;
  • Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999, Part A(2) and Part B Permitted Processes;
  • Information held under the Private Water Supplies (England) (amended) Regulations 2018;
  • Air Quality Management Areas;
  • Smoke Control Areas;
  • Radon gas (however we would recommend the UK Radon website is visited for clarity); and
  • Available records for 1967 Foot and Mouth burial sites.

If you require information that Cheshire East Council does not hold, then we can advise you on the best agency to contact.

We would also recommend that anyone undertaking a Phase I Preliminary Risk Assessment within Cheshire East also contact the Contaminated Land Team to enquire about information we hold on the study site and surrounding area. If this report is subsequently submitted to us through, for example the Planning Regime, the inclusion of this information in the early stages may prevent delays.

If the property was built within the last 10 years, it may be covered by an NHBC warranty. Alternatively you may be able to insure against the risk of the cost of remediating the land if it is found to be required. Your solicitor will be able to advise you further on this matter.

Contact us


0300 123 5015

Page last reviewed: 09 October 2023