Selling animals as pets

To run a business selling pet animals you will need a licence from the council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet. Domestic properties are included in this.

There are a number of factors we have to take into account in deciding if an activity is being carried on in the course of a business or a person is operating on a commercial basis.

Information on statutory guidance for local authorities about selling animals as pets and to see whether you require a licence.

How to apply

You can download the applicant profile, application form and the declaration form to apply for a Selling Animals as Pets Licence:

Return completed forms to:

Animal Health and Welfare Team
Regulatory Services and Health
Municipal Buildings

Or email (you will need to make a payment by calling 01270 686601 or 01270 686597 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm if you apply by email).


A fee is payable upon application. View the details of fees for a pet shop licence.

Right of appeal

If we refuse to give you a licence, you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

If you disagree with the star/risk rating we have given, you can challenge your rating.

Contact us

0300 123 5015

Page last reviewed: 21 February 2022