Holiday Activities and Food Programme 2023
Children and young people can access activities over the school holiday periods!
We are working with local schools, childcare and holiday club providers and community and voluntary organisations to provide free fun activities as part of our holiday activities and food programme (HAF). The free places are funded by the Department for Education as part of the government’s HAF programme being delivered across Cheshire East. This programme has already successfully run in Cheshire East during the 2021 Easter, summer and winter/Christmas holidays and the Easter and winter/Christmas 2022 holiday period. Further details about this programme can be found on the main government website - Holiday activities and food programme - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
This holiday scheme provides enjoyable activities and nutritious meals for primary and secondary school aged children who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals.
Children and young people will be able to access free activity sessions during the three main school holidays* (Easter, summer and winter/Christmas) including specific provisions available for children with SEND or additional needs. Activities are offered alongside a nutritious meal each day.
Some examples of the activities that have been offered are:
- Arts and crafts - art attack, Lego, drawing, painting, model making, robot making, sewing and textiles
- Educational - science, writing, access to Crewe library, team building, Eatwell Plate, nutrition quizzes
- Sports and games - multi-sports, cycling, boxing, swimming, gymnastics, archery, ultimate frisbee, yoga, crazy golf, martial arts, puzzles, board games, indoor play frames
- Forest school and gardening - forest skills, den making, outside cooking, harvesting, Park Explorers, tree climbing
- Cooking and baking - preparation of food and snacks, pizza making, outdoor campfire cooking, fruit kebab building, food tasting, recipe cards
- Performing arts - music, drama, dance classes and dance shows, singing, circus skills, balloon making, role play, dress up
- Health and well-being - mini medics, mental health workshops, junior first aid, well-being tasks, health and well-being projects
How to find an activity*
Finding an activity is easy – just take a look at the Cheshire East Live Well Family Information Service Events page a few weeks before each of the main school holidays – all you need to do is select dates for the holiday period you wish to search in the 'Search for an event' section - you will then find information about our fantastic HAF providers and the activities they are offering, as well as the details you need to book your place. Alternatively you can also view a list of providers within your area using the Holiday Activities and Food Programme (HAF) - Live Well Cheshire East directory page.
You can also look out for our new HAF logo which will help you identify activities that are part of the HAF programme:
If you believe you are eligible for the free school meals allowance, but have not yet registered, you can apply for free school meals online or phone 0300 123 5012 for support.
If you have any queries regarding the HAF programme email CEHAF@cheshireeast.gov.uk
Support and activities for preschool age children
The HAF programme is aimed at primary and secondary age children and young people. If you have preschool age children, there is lots of support and activities available at Children’s Centres across Cheshire East. You can visit the Cheshire East Children's Centre Live Well site for information about the wide range of support that is available, as well as accessing links to all the individual Children’s Centres to view their activity timetables.
*The holiday activities and food programme only takes place during the three main holiday periods (Easter, summer and winter/Christmas). Further details for each individual activity can be found on the Cheshire East Live Well Family Information Service Events Pages.
Page last reviewed: 25 January 2023
Thank you for your feedback.