Historic planning applications and decisions
Cheshire East Council was created on the 1 April 2009 through the amalgamation of Congleton, Crewe and Nantwich, and Macclesfield Borough Councils and part of Cheshire County Council. Planning application details, decisions and documents available vary due to different methods of record management at the former Councils.In some cases to preserve the Councils original documents viewing can only take place at the location it is stored.
Applications submitted to Cheshire East Council (all applications since 1 April 2009)
- Full application details including important dates and decisions.
- Application forms, drawings, supporting documents, consultation replies and neighbour comments, decision notices and Officer reports.
You can search for planning applications online.
If you are unable to access the information online, planning applications can be viewed at Council offices. See the Contact Planning page for office locations and opening hours.
Applications submitted to the former Cheshire County Council
- Full Application details and decisions from April 2007.
- Basic application details and decisions for applications prior to April 2007 and after 1 January 2004.
- Planning files for the period before 2004 can be viewed by appointment only. Please contact planning in advance so we can arrange for the relevant files to be available for inspection.
Applications submitted to the former Congleton Borough Council
- Basic planning application details and decisions for applications from 1 April 1974. These can be viewed in paper form by contacting planning in advance and arranging to view a file. Please quote the reference number.
- You cannot view any associated plans or documents for these applications.
Applications submitted to the former Crewe and Nantwich Borough Council
- Application forms, drawings, consultation replies, and neighbour comments for applications from December 2005.
- Application details and decision notices for applications received between 1 January 1990 and November 2005.
- Planning files for the period before 1990 can be viewed by appointment only. Please contact planning in advance so we can arrange for the relevant files to be available for inspection.
Applications submitted to the former Macclesfield Borough Council
- Application forms, drawings, consultation replies, and neighbour comments for applications from May 2005 (starting with application 05/1400P)
- Planning files received between January 2001 and May 2005 can be seen on the website in their entirety (applicators 01/0001P to 05/1399P). Note that these files no longer exist in hard copy.
- Application details and decision notices for applications received since 1996.
- Brief application details only for applications received since 1977.
- Planning files for the period before 1977, including the pre-1974 councils, can be viewed at Town Hall, Macclesfield on microfiche. We will need to know the application number in order to retrieve the fiche and the request will have to be made in advance by emailing email@example.com. If the application number is not known, a fee will be charged to carry out the search.
If you are unable to access the information online or you are assisting someone without access to the internet, planning applications can be inspected at the relevant Council offices. Please look at the Contact Planning page for information on our office locations and opening hours.
Historic searches for planning applications
The planning history of a site can be researched for a fee. Contact Planning with details of the site including a location plan and how far back you want the research. Details of the charges will then be confirmed.
Page last reviewed: 25 November 2019
Thank you for your feedback.