Policy HOU 9: Subdivision of dwellings
Subdivision of existing dwellings into self-contained residential units will be permitted where the proposals accord with other policies in the development plan and:
- satisfactory living environments can be created in the new dwellings;
- sufficient amenity space and car parking is retained; and
- adequate provision is made in the site for waste and recycling storage.
8.53 The creation of additional self-contained housing units by the sub-division of existing dwellings is often an effective way of providing lower-cost accommodation, but the usual standards for dwellings will still apply.
- When considering whether a satisfactory living environment can be created, matters such as internal space standards (see Policy HOU 8 'Space, accessibility and wheelchair housing standards'), outlook and privacy (see Policy HOU 13 'Residential standards'), noise and disturbance, and convenience and safety of access will be taken into account.
- Sufficient amenity space should be provided to allow for the usual domestic arrangements associated with the size and type of dwelling being created, such as hanging washing or providing a reasonable sitting-out area (see Policy HOU 13 'Residential standards'. Car parking standards are set out in LPS Appendix C ‘Parking standards’.
- Sufficient space should also be provided to store waste and recycling bins in a safe and convenient location where they can be transported to the kerbside for collection.
8.54 LPS Policy SE 1 'Design', Policy GEN 1 'Design principles', Policy HOU 8 'Space, accessibility and wheelchair housing standards', Policy HOU 12 'Amenity' and Policy HOU 13 'Residential standards' are likely to have particular relevance to proposals for the subdivision of dwellings. Any extensions or alterations must accord with the requirements of Policy HOU 11 'Extensions and alterations'. Further guidance is also available in the Cheshire East Borough Design Guide supplementary planning document.
Previous page: Policy HOU 8 'Space, accessibility and wheelchair housing standards' | Cheshire East Local Plan policy index | Next page: Policy HOU 10 'Backland development'