Your adult social care assessment

View services that can help with social care assessments
Choices for care

Choices for Care

If you would like information and advice without having to go through a full assessment of your social care needs, please visit our Choices for Care page.

Choices for Care, provides you with online support to help you to identify the support you need. This includes relevant services from the Live Well directory.

You can also choose to submit the information you provide to the Council’s Adult Social Care service, who will then contact you to consider your situation further.

If you or someone you care for are finding it difficult to cope with everyday living tasks due to:

  • illness
  • a disability
  • frailty
  • a fall or an accident
  • recovering from an operation
  • a major change in your life
  • a crisis
  • a health condition

then you may need some extra help and support.

You can request an assessment from Adults Social Care by telephoning  0300 123 5010.

The adults assessment form (PDF, 439KB) shows the types of questions that we ask you.

A trained assessor will work with you to carry out the assessment. We will consider a number of factors such as your needs, strengths, and what you want to achieve (your outcomes). We will consider how they impact on your wellbeing and what is important to you.

You will be at the centre of the process and we will gain a full picture of your wishes and needs. You may want someone, such as a family member, or a friend, to be with you during the assessment. If you would have significant difficulty being involved, or have no-one appropriate to help you, we can arrange for an independent advocate to support you.

We will identify if you have any needs that are eligible for care and support to be arranged by the Council, and if you have, we will develop a Care and Support Plan with you to identify what support you require.

If you have eligible needs, you will have a financial assessment that will determine whether you need to contribute towards the cost of your care needs. You will also receive information on where you can get independent financial advice, and how to ensure that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

If you are not eligible for help from the Council, we will provide advice and information and signpost you to organisations and other types of support that may be able to help you. 

Contact details

Adult Social Care

0300 123 5010

Find a service

Rate this page

How do you rate this page?