You may borrow 20 items at any one time, which may be up to 20 books. The maximum number of multimedia items is 8, except computer software and games and DVD box sets where the maximum is 2 items. Up to 20 Talking Books can be borrowed on a visually impaired borrower ticket.
Books, talking books and language courses are loaned for 3 weeks at a time, and can be renewed up to 4 times if no one else has reserved them. CDs, DVDs and games are loaned for 1 week.
You may borrow up to 3 e-books at a time for a period of 21 days, free of charge. You can also place up to 3 holds on other e-book titles. Holds will be held for 7 days when available, before being released for the next customer.
You may borrow up to 10 eaudiobooks at a time for a period of 21 days. These can be renewed up to three times. There are no lending or overdue charges and books are always available without the need to reserve them.
All charges apply from 1st August 2020.
*L/DCH denotes Leisure/Discount card holder concession charges. Ask your library for details of these cards.
Reservations can be made online or in person at a library.
Visually impaired borrowers or those who have difficulty in handling books can reserve talking books, large print books and language courses free
*Please note that if any reserved item is not collected by the customer they will still be liable for the reservation charge.
- If the item can be obtained from within the county then the charge is £1.00 (65p L/DCH)
- If the item reserved has to be obtained from a UK library outside Cheshire, the charge is £3.60
- If the item reserved has to be obtained from the British Library, the charge is £16.10. Renewals of these books are charged at £5.35. Replacement cost for a British Library item is £182.80
- Print copies of journal articles can be reserved for £11.50. Some articles are available electronically and can be sent to an email address at a cost of £5.70. Scanned journal articles can be sent via email at a cost of £10.00. Please note: some articles may incur a further copyright charge
- Children under 18 may reserve items free of charge, unless obtained from UK outside Cheshire
- Visually impaired borrowers and those who have difficulty in handling books are not charged for the reservation of Talking Books, Language Courses and Large Print Books
- Memory Box loans are charged at £10.00 for 3 weeks
- Play set reservations are charged at £1.00 per item. (55p L/DCH)
- Reading Group collection annual subscription is £80.00
Multimedia loan charges
Visually impaired borrowers and those who have difficulty in handling books are not charged for the loan of Talking Books, Language Courses and Large Print Books.
Multimedia Loan Charges
||£1.00 per week (75p L/DCH)
|DVDs - new releases
||£3.50 per week (£2.75 L/DCH)
|DVDs - reduced rate
||£1.75 per week (£1.00 L/DCH)
|Computer games and software
||£2.00 - 3 week loan (£1.50 L/DCH)
|Talking Books and language courses - adult
||£2.25 - 3 week loan (£1.25 L/DCH)
|Talking Books and language courses - child
||50p - 3 week loan (30p L/DCH)
|Music Scores and Choral Sets (for up to 4 months)
||£1.00 per item
Orchestral sets £30.00
Charges for overdue items
If you have an email address, you can opt to receive a free advance notice email when items are due for return or renewal. However, this is a courtesy service and the prompt return or renewal of loans remains the responsibility of the library member; therefore, in the event of non-delivery of the advance email any overdue charges cannot be waived.
Charges for Overdue books
||25p per item per open day to a maximum of £10.00 per item
|Children under 5
||5p per item per open day to a maximum of £1.00 per item
||10p per item per open day to a maximum of £5.00 per item
Charges for Overdue multimedia
||50p per item per open day to a maximum of £10.00 per item
||25p per item per open day to a maximum of £5.00 per item
|Children 0-18 with Leisure/Discount:
||15p per item per open day to a maximum of £4.00 per item
||40p per item per open day to a maximum of £5.00 per item
- Items on loan can be renewed if not reserved by another borrower. Items can be renewed online or by e-mail, letter, fax, or by visiting a library. You can also renew your library loans using the 24 hour telephone renewal line on 0300 123 7739
- Please note that the renewal period for all items will be from the date of the renewal transaction, not the original due date for the item, unless that is the date the transaction takes place
- NB. Children's items borrowed on an adult ticket are subject to the adult fine rate
Lost and damaged items
Minimum charge for any one item is £3.00.
Administrative charge deducted from any refunds is £3.00.
Personal computer bookings
Computer bookings charges
|Personal computer bookings:
||1 hour per day free of charge for members of Cheshire Libraries or 1 hour per day at £2.50 for non-members of Cheshire Libraries, subject to availability
£2.50 per hour or part of an hour thereafter (£1.25 L/DCH and children)
||B/W: 20p per page (10p L/DCH)
Colour: 80p per page (40p L/DCH)
Black and white: 10p per A4 sheet or 20p per A3 sheet (where available)
Adults £2.00 (£1.00 Children and L/DCH)
Meeting room hire
Library meeting rooms for hire are banded from A to C. Band A is the largest of our facilities, the Cheshire Suite at Macclesfield Library; Band B meeting rooms have a dedicated kitchen area and equipment such as a projection screen; Band C meeting rooms are smaller spaces with less equipment. The following hourly rates apply for each band on weekdays before 10.00pm:
- Band A £40.00 per hour
- Band B £20.00 per hour
- Band C £10.00 per hour
There will be a premium charge for bookings outside our published opening hours at weekends and on weekdays after 10.00pm:
- Band A premium rate £60.00 per hour
- Band B premium rate £30.00 per hour
- Band C premium rate £15.00 per hour
A discount of 15% is available for block bookings of 6 or more meetings paid in advance.
The IT Suite at Macclesfield Library is charged at £20.00 per hour.
Bookings cancelled with less than 48 hours notice will incur the full hire charge.