Bollington Recreation Ground Today
Located in the centre of Bollington and within the conservation area, the Recreation Ground and its neighbouring play area on Adlington Road provide a broad range of recreational facilities in a fantastic setting. Beautiful woodland and mature trees surround the park and glimpses of Bollington’s industrial heritage are all around, including the imposing chimney of Clarence Mill which dominates the skyline and provides a strong landmark. This very attractive park has wide-open space as well as more intimate areas and a woodland walk alongside the River Dean.
The park is a much-loved facility, usually referred to as The Rec, in which to stroll or sit and enjoy the setting with many users visiting at least once a week. Many bring a dog or also use the play area at Adlington Road. The site’s main focus is sport, with league football games throughout the winter season, extensive cricket use by the Bollington Cricket Club formed in the 1880’s and regular bowls matches during the summer months. The site has hosted many major sporting and celebratory events attracting large crowds as well as smaller activities and events on the site, including the 9th Bollington Festival Marquee in May 2009.
Key community facilities including the Middlewood Way - a 10 mile/16km traffic free route for walkers, cyclists and horse riders, Macclesfield Canal, and the extensive Public Rights Of Way (PROW) network around Bollington are adjacent to the site. The Bollington Arts Centre, public library, Civic Hall and Town Council offices are all in close proximity, as are local shops, the Coronation play area and Memorial garden.
The Recreation Ground covers an area of 3.3 hectares, has good pedestrian access and the main Bollington/Macclesfield Bus stops nearby. There is little residential property surrounding the site and views into the site from nearby roads and vantage points are filtered.
Recreation Ground facilities
- A football pitch used for league games
- A cricket pitch with practice new nets, new covers, scoreboard unit and screens
- Two tennis courts, one of which contains basketball facilities
- A fenced, floodlit bowling green
- Main pavilion with changing rooms, toilets, community room, car park, CCTV
- Sporting and community group notice boards
- A small bowlers hut
- Bowls shelter
- Refurbished external toilet block
- Improved grounds maintenance depot, accessed through the Rec
- Informal woodland path along the River Dean with two bridges, interpretation panels and sculptures
- Entrance points from Adlington Road, Wellington Road and Round Gardens
- Completely replanted rockery feature with extensive perennial and bulb planting
- Wildflower beds and meadow areas
Adlington Road Play Area facilities
- Toddler/junior play area
- Kickabout area
- Skate park for beginners to intermediate
- Car park, toilet block and Ranger Office
Email Park Enquiries
Comment about a park or garden
0300 123 5011
Page last reviewed: 15 September 2021
Thank you for your feedback.