Notes to accompany an application for a temporary road closure
The Town Police Clauses Act 1847
All charges and fees that fall under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 can be found on the road closure for events webpage
- A minimum of 8 weeks notice is required for the processing of a road closure order.
- Under the terms of the legislation, the Council must be satisfied that it is necessary to close the road in order to facilitate the event.
- Before submitting an application, the event organiser must discuss the proposals with the Police Events Co-ordinator, Paul Riley on telephone number 01606 362710 and obtain police approval in principle.
- The organisers must submit a suitable traffic diversion route and sign schedule with the application consisting of the following:
(a) a plan showing positions of the road closure/route diversion signs/barriers
(b) a description of wording/size/colour of the road closure/ diversion/ signs/barriers
(c) details of stewards/marshals.
All signs must conform to The Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8. It may be necessary for the organiser of the event to employ a competent traffic management organisation.
- Advance notification signs warning of the closure as approved by the Highways Office are to be erected as directed. They will normally be in place 2 weeks before the event and taken down immediately after the event.
- The event organiser must consult with all residents and businesses which may be affected by the closure.
- Access for emergency vehicles and residents/businesses must be maintained at all times during the closure period. #
- Evidence of public liability insurance cover for £5 million must be provided with the application.
- All litter, signs, public notices etc must be removed as soon as possible after the event.
- 12. Please return completed application form and accompanying documents to: Temporaryroadclosures@cheshireeasthighways.org
Cheshire East Council Highways
6th Floor Delamere House
Cheshire CW1 2LL
- If you require any further information please telephone 0300 1235020.
Page last reviewed: 21 May 2021
Thank you for your feedback.