Councillor conduct - Member Code of Conduct

The Localism Act 2011 requires all local authorities to adopt a code of conduct setting out the standards of behaviour expected from local councillors.

Cheshire East Council adopted the  Code of conduct for members (PDF, 263KB) as part of the Constitution (page 280) which came into force on 1 January 2018.

The Council’s Audit and Governance Committee is responsible for considering any complaints that a councillor elected in the Cheshire East area may have breached the relevant Code of Conduct.

Each Town and Parish Council must adopt a code of conduct. It may not be exactly the same as the Cheshire East Council code. Contact your parish clerk to view the code of conduct for your Town and Parish area. 

Making a complaint about the conduct of a councillor (member)

To complain that a Councillor or co-opted Member of Cheshire East Council or a Town or Parish Councillor in the Cheshire East area may have failed to comply with the relevant Code of Conduct complete the  

and send it to:

The Monitoring Officer
Cheshire East Council
Middlewich Road
CW11 1HZ

The matter will be considered by the Council’s monitoring officer in consultation with an independent person. The monitoring officer can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a Councillor. You must set out why you believe the Councillor has not followed the relevant Code of Conduct and which sections of the Code you feel have been breached.

Last updated June 2018.