Business Rates - privacy notice
What personal information is being processed and what for
- Name of the liable party
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Company status
- Owners of premises
- Bank details for customers paying by direct debit
We use this information to bill and collect business rates under the provisions of Section 35 (2) of The Local Government Finance Act 1988.
Why we are allowed to use your information
To bill and collect business rates under the provision of Section 35 (2) of the Local Government Act 1988.
Processing of personal information is carried out in accordance with Article 6 of the EU GDPR
Who we will share your information with
Your personal data is shared securely with the following organisations, where it is necessary and appropriate to do so:
- representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
- debt collection and tracing agencies
- local and central government
- ombudsman and regulatory authorities
- courts and tribunals
- enforcement agents
- police forces
- data processors
- regulatory bodies
- law enforcement and prosecuting authorities
Where we get your information from
We collect this information from the individual or third parties as listed below:
- online forms
- web enquiries from the council’s website
- incoming correspondence such as letters, forms and/or applications for discounts, reviews and exemptions from customers and from landlords and developers
- information received from council property inspectors
- other departments such as planning and economic development
- information given to staff within customer service centres
- to our telephone contact team.
- HMRC – Valuation Office
How long we will keep your personal information
We will keep your information for as long as it is required by the Council in order to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Our retention period for Business Rates is 7 years.
How your information is stored
We retain information on our Northgate billing system indefinitely with regard to business rates liability, transactions, recovery action taken and notepads of conversations with our call team. Access to this system is controlled and all staff submit an annual declaration of interest in any business rates account. When an employee leaves the section access to this system is deleted.
We also retain data, forms and correspondence from customers as well as outgoing letters and forms generated by our electronic document management system ‘Information at Work’ – this data is held on the system for 7 years before being deleted.
What happens if you don’t provide us with your information
You are legally obliged to provide this information as failure to do so will mean we are unable to bill you correctly and collect Business Rates due to Cheshire East Borough Council. If we are unable to do so our ability to raise and collect the revenue required to provide all council services will be limited.
Will your information be used to make automated decisions
You have a number of rights regarding your personal data, including withdrawing your consent where we have asked for it.
You can also ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and ask us to correct anything that is wrong.
For detailed information about your rights please see the Cheshire East privacy notice.