Blue Badges (Disabled Persons’ Parking Scheme) - privacy notice
What personal information is being processed and what for
We hold the following information from your application for both new badges, renewal badges or replacement badges:
- Full name and title
- Date of birth
- Current address
- Place of birth
- National Insurance Number (NINO)
- Details of benefits you receive associated with your mobility
- Proof of your identity
- Medical information you provide in support of your claim
- Your photograph
- Contact details you have provided including telephone numbers, email addresses used for contact about your application to ask for more information, update you on progress and for sending the decision to you and the Blue Badge if you are eligible
Why we are allowed to use your information
This information is required for processing your Blue Badge application.
The following is the main relevant legislation:
- The Blue Badge (Disabled Persons’ Parking) Scheme was introduced under Section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970
- The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Exemptions for Disabled Persons) (England) Regulations 2000
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/682)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/1507)
- the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Exemptions for Disabled Persons) (England) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/693)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007/2531)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment No. 2) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007/2600)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment Regulations 2011 (SI 2011/1307)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2011 (SI 2011/2675)
- the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/2203)
Who we will share your information with
We will share information with the Department for Transport who are responsible for the scheme.
Your details will be shared with Northgate Public Services if you are eligible for a Blue Badge as they produce and post out the badges.
We will share your details with the Council’s Occupational Therapy Team who undertake the Independent Mobility Assessments where it is felt you will need to be assessed to determine your eligibility.
We will contact the Department for Work and Pensions to check you are receiving the Benefits you have declared in connection with your mobility.
Parking Services enforcement officers have access to details on Blue Badges for enforcement and fraud detection.
Where we get your information from
You or someone acting on your behalf.
We also receive applications forwarded from gov.uk where an application is submitted via that web site.
How long we will keep your personal information
6 years plus the current year.
See the Council’s Information Asset Register on the web site for more information.
How your information is stored
We store your information on the following systems:
- Blue Badge Improvement Service (BBIS) for details on all successful applications
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System holds details on all applications for the administration
- Blue Badge inbox (Microsoft Outlook) for incoming emails. These are then deleted and saved to the CRM .
All of these systems have security controls with Individual logins, password protected (with minimum security levels) with the data held on secure servers
What happens if you don’t provide us with your information
We would be unable to process Blue Badge applications.
Will your information be used to make automated decisions
Your application will be processed through an automated system to review your responses against a scoring matrix to identify whether you may be automatically eligible, not eligible or may need to attend an assessment. Officers can override the automated process where it is felt necessary. If you appeal a decision this is a manual process.
The automation is used to ensure consistency and the efficient processing of applications to give you a quicker decision on your application. There is no profiling.
Cross checks will automatically be made to help prevent abuse of the scheme and to help ensure that those automatically eligible receive a badge more easily e.g. whether or not you have already been issued with a badge by a different local authority.
You have a number of rights regarding your personal data, including withdrawing your consent where we have asked for it.
You can also ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and ask us to correct anything that is wrong.
For detailed information about your rights please see the Cheshire East privacy notice.