Equality and diversity policy
Our aim is to make equality an integral part of the way the Council works by putting it at the centre of everything we do. We are committed to celebrating diversity and promoting equality
- as an employer
- in the services we provide
- in partnerships
- in the decisions we make
We recognise that promoting equality and diversity will improve public services for everyone. We want Cheshire East to be an area of equal opportunity, where everyone has a fair chance and people from all backgrounds take part in community life.
Our Equality and diversity strategy (PDF, 668KB) was approved by Cabinet on 7 February 2017. We deliver this through an annual work programme. We are refreshing this strategy for 2020-2024.
Our equality objectives
Cheshire East Council is asking residents, staff and communities for their views on its refreshed equality objectives as part of a duty to comply with the Equality Act 2010.
The Equality Act 2010 ensures that all public bodies play their part in making communities and society fairer, by tackling discrimination and providing equality of opportunity for all.
The public consultation on the council’s draft equality objectives, runs from 1 June until 31 July. Responses will shape and direct the equality, diversity and inclusion strategy and provide opportunities to build on the work the it has delivered so far.
The council recognises that promoting equality, diversity and inclusion will improve public services for everyone. Its aspiration is that Cheshire East is an area of equal opportunity where everyone has a fair chance, and people from all backgrounds take part in community life.
The four draft strategy objectives are:
- Include – listen and involve all voices;
- Inspire – celebrate and promote diversity and the positive opportunities it brings;
- Integrate – deliver and promote accessible services for all; and
- Inform – empower people to respectfully challenge discriminatory and poor behaviour
The purpose of this consultation survey is to get your feedback on these new objectives. We would like to hear if they are relevant and understandable for the residents of Cheshire East.
Promoting fairness and providing equality for all is an ambition in each of our strategic objectives as outlined in the Corporate Plan 2016-2020. We want to ensure that:
- Our local communities are strong and supportive
- Cheshire East has a strong and resilient economy
- People have the life skills and education they need in order to thrive
- Cheshire East is a green and sustainable place
- People live well and for longer
- Our organisation is responsible, effective, and efficient
Gender pay gap
We publish data about our gender pay gap annually. This meets the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties and Public Authorities) Regulations 2017 for all employers with more than 250 employees.
Equalities and the law
The Equality Act 2010 states that then public authorities carry out their functions they must have due regard to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don't
- foster or encourage good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who don't
The protected characteristics are:
- gender reassignment
- marriage and civil partnership
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
We know that people can have more than one of these characteristics and that there are other vulnerabilities that people can be discriminated against. We work against all forms of discrimination and believe our policies create positive outcomes for everyone.
You can find guidance on all aspects of the Equality Act and how it affects you on the Equality and Human Rights Commission web site. This national organisation also sets out our legal responsibilities as a council.