Product safety and recalls

If you are concerned about the safety of a product, or you have found a dangerous fault in something you have bought, stop using it immediately and contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline for advice. They will pass your complaint on to us, and if appropriate we will investigate and take action. 

You can check the trader's website for recall information and view the list of recalls and safety notices on the Chartered Trading Standards Institute website.

A trader must organise a recall of the product if they discover a problem with a product that could affect safety. This can be voluntary or the trader can be required to act by trading standards. A recall can be actioned by:

  • contacting purchasers to tell them about the recall, to the extent it is practicable to do so
  • publishing a notice about the risks posed by the product and what the trader is doing to resolve the problem
  • making arrangements for the collection and return, repair, replacement or refund of a product
  • giving information on the make, model and batch number of the affected product

Contact us

Business Support Team
Cheshire East Council

0300 123 5015

Page last reviewed: 05 February 2024